Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.
View Poll Results: Sister wants to get a new car. Should the wreck be fixed or parts car?
Sell back to Mechanic?
0%
Keep the wreck in the driveway while she gets a new car, fix it myself.
100.00%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

What Should I Do?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

My sister crashed her 2000 tiburon yesterday, she hit a pole. It was foggy and her lights point down after the last accident. I saw the location, it was tricky so I don't blame her, especially with poor lights. Anyway--the car is at a friends house in the front yard and we're having a hard time trying to decide what to do. The car has a lot of problems with it.

-needs new radiator, bumper, and hood. that's pretty much it.
-airbags were deployed once, stuffed back in, and now it's obvious they don't work.
-In the records it is salvage/rebuilt.
-lights are not aligned
-a/c unit is dead, needs new unit
-oil leak, oil pan cracked on impact of curb
-isn't driveable right now, but it's not that bad of a wreck. a new bumper, hood, oil pan bottom, and radiator would do the job.
-don't have the time to fix it myself because she works everyday, i would gladly...

-just got 4 KYB GR2's, just had alignment, 4 brand new tires.
-Motoria 2.25 exhaust with glasspack, sounds beast!

it's probably not worth more than $2,500. The repair might be around $1100-$1500 or so. My sister has been wanting a new car too. Unfortunately I have no influence because if she gets another Hyundai she'll be blaming me if something goes wrong.

Parts car? Or repair it? If we send it for repair, all those things will cost a lot but she want's a new car anyways for anything under 15 grand on a lease. We could tow it and sell it as a salvage back to my mechanic but that would make little sense. I kind of don't want to keep a wreck in the driveway although it would be really nice!! Point I have a lot of time to spare next semester. She doesn't have any and she needs a car.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:13 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Keep it for sure, either fix it and re-sell it or just part the thing out.

Selling it to a junk yard is dumb, as they are the only one's making out.

Selina profited almost 3 grand after we resold her prelude, taking into consideration what she paid for the car initially, what the insurance paid her back after the wreck, the cost of the replacement parts/panels, and finally what she sold it for. And this is after a whole year of driving the car.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:47 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

It's always bad to see a tib die, so I say keep it, fix it when you have the time, and then maybe sell it. You'd probably get more money that way anyway..
Old 12-10-2007, 06:23 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Keep it and part it out. She wont get back what its worth otherwise.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:06 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Doesn't sound like all too much is wrong with it. I'd fix it, so long as the frame isn't bent.

Get an aftermarket hood. CF if the price is right, as that saves having to paint the hood (blending can be a b!tch with certain colours).

Go for a second-hand radiator, bumper, oil-pan, etc...

The lights are easy to adjust with a Phillip's head screw-driver. I think there are 2 screws on each light (left-right & up-down). If I've misunderstood & the lights/mounts are actually broken, I'd get 2nd hand ones from the wreckers.