Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Turbo Install In A Eclipse

Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm doing a turbo install in a friend's eclipse. He supposedly has everything we need to do it and some have done it with less. Turbo, manifold, lines, hosing, piping, injectors, BOV, SAFC-2, computer diagnostics equipment, and a whole lot of heart.

We're having alot of issues. If anyone has experience please post it. There's some splotchy DIYs online, but none are really clear. We decided to start with the inter-fooler. We're going to end up chopping off ALOT of the bumper cover, or the bumper itself to get this bad mammajamma in there. It was mounted today, but then we realized it will either not fit under the bumper cover, or it will leave very little bumper cover left. Any input?

thats me on the right, just kinda laughing.

Tomorrow after work we have limited time to work on this before the sun goes down. We could really use some help from experienced turbo guys. Hopefully the pix would be enough. I'm not up for cutting into the bumper, but if that's what has to be done, then that's what has to be done.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well lol, it seems that your problem is more of a vehicle specific kinda problem... try dsm forums at all? My suggestion, if you do not want to reweld or buy a smaller IC, get an aftermarket front end, they usually have alot more space to work with for the IC.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:21 PM

Hmm your base should have a mechanics bay that you can pay the $15 or whatever it is to store it on the lift overnight correct? I know on the Sub base I was one it was available, may help ya out. About 6 months ago I assisted with an install similar to the one your doing, we just ended up cutting up the bumper.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:27 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i don't know much about the experience behind eclipses but i do know that that's a huge intercooler and it will fit with the bumper piece cut out. most of what i've seen even with tiburons were some sort of bumper cut outs. of course your friend could always sell that intercooler and get a thinner one.

dtn how tall are you? i'm 6'4... beat that. tongue.gif
Old 02-26-2007, 10:43 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Gonna have to do some hacking if he's insistent on using that FMIC, either the plastic bumper or the real bumper. Maybe a longer intercooler that isnt so tall would be in order...
Old 02-26-2007, 11:14 PM

i actually just did a turbo instal on my tiburon, complete aftermarket set-up. i dont kno if ur eclipse there is turboed from the factory or if urs is all aftermarket (it looks like a stock manifold and turbo, but my buddies gst had a side mount intercooler and it was all stock). ur safc certaily wont be factory.

anyways, i may be of some help. contact me and let me know what i can answer for questions, otherwise there are guys in my local area that basically speciallize in dsm's such as ur friends. check them out..they are very very knowledable, feel free to contact them, their website is dsmsupport.com
Old 02-27-2007, 12:32 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Can you cut the back portions of the bumper?

Also take off the front support rail and do without it.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:04 AM

He could always leave the intercooler out for now until he can purchase one that will actually fit and run the turbo output straight to the throttle body with no intercooler, not the best way to go but it will work if he keeps the boost low till he gets a proper intercooler, he should be able to push 6-8psi with no problems that way. If he wants to use that intercooler your gonna have plenty of hacking to do and It may come out looking like a hack job, but thats all up to you guys, good luck with it.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:22 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

apparently this is a tried and true setup. The turbo is from a Evo. The Intercooler on the other hand is not. I appreciate the suggestions. And if we do cut the bumper, it will NOT come out looking like a hack job. I'll be behind the cutting tools. We'll try cutting the back of the bumper tonight, or at least look at that as an option. It seems like the best way to do it. What's the point of having a bumper if youre going to wedge a integral par of your engine in it? Behind the bumper would be a clean option.

HKC: I'm 5'11" mang, i aint' got nothing.

Trancematic: I'm boycotting them because I've decided they have all the respect for muscle and 0 respect for tuner cars. I don't like the attitudes i get. Unfortunately, we can't work with fluids without them, so i won't be working on that part.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:52 AM

Yeah, that intercooler is quite thick and beefy.

What psi does he intend on running? Since you didn't mention anything about tearing the motor down for internals, it might be too big anyway. No fun in a big intercooler if you have pressure loss because of it.