Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Toyota FT-86 Open convertible concept

Old 03-03-2013, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Accent
Default Toyota FT-86 Open convertible concept

The concept is a convertible version of the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ

Just the Facts:

The Toyota FT-86 Open concept, which is being described by the automaker as a "study model," was unveiled ahead of its debut at the 2013 Geneva Auto Show.

The concept is a convertible version of the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ.

The FT-86 Open concept is equipped with the same 200-horsepower 2.0-liter four-cylinder boxer engine as the coupe.

TOYOTA CITY, Japan — The Toyota FT-86 Open concept, which is being described by the automaker as a "study model," was unveiled on Friday ahead of a debut at the 2013 Geneva Auto Show.

The FT-86 Open concept is equipped with the same 200-horsepower 2.0-liter four-cylinder boxer engine as the coupe. The FT-86 Open concept weighs 2,771 pounds, 35 pounds more than the Scion FR-S with a six-speed automatic transmission. The convertible drives the rear wheels through a six-speed manual transmission or six-speed automatic transmission.

The external dimensions are identical to the coupe.

"The FT-86 Open concept is a study model based on the rear-wheel-drive sports cars '86' that was created to test and verify potential sports car variations," said Toyota in a statement posted on its Web site.

Toyota also said that it "has pinpointed numerous areas that will need further engineering evaluation to assess the impact of the cabriolet design on performance, vehicle rigidity, balance, weight and aerodynamics."

But it noted that the GT86 "was designed with the development of a cabriolet in mind." The concept features an electrically operated soft top.

Toyota Boshoku Milan Design color-coordinated the interior and exterior. The concept gets a white exterior and a navy blue interior said to "emphasize the vehicle's proportions as well as the integrated nature of the design," the automaker said.

Gold stitching accents the floor mats and the seats.

Edmunds says: Toyota clearly will be watching the reaction to the FT-86 Open concept in Geneva as it ponders whether to produce the sporty convertible.

I kind of like it
Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I think that's actually pretty cool. Not that it looks great but it would make an ideal and fun roadster.

Now this on the other hand:

Looks absolutely drooling regardless if it's got no balls.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Maybe instead of spending money girling up the thing, they should spend some money on turbocharging it.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:17 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Shoot however came up with this. Way to take a lightweight pallet and add half a ton or better.

Just give us a turbo AWD STI BRZ model and a super light boosted FR 86 sans carpets, rear seats, radio, etc. Those would make a MUCH better premium model.

If you want to go topless adopt the club sport model and get rid of the top altogether. Just give the owner a kit consisting of some plastics sticks, a sheet on canvas, a good luck charm and a cyanide pill.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:49 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Way to make a light and stiff car become heavy and flobbery. What's next, a four speed auto?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

If I had to choose between this or something else...I would get an S2000. Lighter, more fun to drive, way more aftermarket options, and better looking IMO.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The S2k is a fine car, but I don't think it is more fun to drive.

As I saw on Saturday at a Gymkhana drift event, the FRS drifts like a beast. The S2k can, but nowhere near as easily. The Miata gave me tons of crap with the open diff, but Turboron was there with his turbo Miata and a VLSD and he did well.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

My wife thinks the car is pretty :biggrin: