Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Thinking about buying a Miata for autocross

Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tib
Default Thinking about buying a Miata for autocross

Theres one for sale not too far from me thats going for $2200. New engine and tranny, but the body is a little rough. Thinking abut possibly picking it up if I can get the owner down to $1900, and using strictly as an auto cross car. Ive heard they're good for that type of stuff, but have never personally witnessed one at an event. Can anybody here confirm that they're good, and what are the pros and cons to owning a Miata if anyone knows?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

They are quite a good bargain for the money. Stock you can have a lot of fun, but they respond well to upgrades and there is a plethora of race tested properly engineered parts available at reasonable prices. Most Miatas don't have a lot of power stock, but they're also around the weight of an Accent so 150 or so hp will get you moving right along.

Cons are mostly that if you're larger you may not fit in the car. I have to slam a Miata's door on me to close it, and my head hits the soft top seriously bad. It bulges the top up by almost an inch. It is not the most practical car, so if you need to bring an extra set of tires and wheels to mount on site you'll need to get a tire trailer since you can't just throw them in the hatch like me.