Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Test Drove A New Sonata Today!

Old 07-19-2005, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar thought.. buy a used 2004/2005 and a wrecked Gk GT and swap all the good parts (v6 and manual trans) into the sonata and then add the Rippmods S/C
Old 07-19-2005, 01:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

And blow it up like the rest of them? I think 80% of them are. It's pretty bad.

You need luxury and reliability.

Actually, I might just make it n/a, since you can easily get over 200whp that way.

did you test drive a manual or auto?

QUOTE (ArcticChill @ Jul 18 2005, 06:02 PM)
Should've persuaded them that you'd buy it...do burnouts in it...completely molest the transmission and tires. Constantly reassure them you'll buy the car. And the after the test drive, ask if they have it in bright green. Obviously, they'll say no. And suggest that you'd only buy the car if they had it in that color, and just walk out the lot.

Quit it ,lol did u see the video of that with the guy in the mustang doing that ? sounds like it

yea i wish my girlfriend would of waited to buy her elantra much rather had the new sonata
Old 07-19-2005, 02:05 PM

QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Jul 19 2005, 03:34 PM)
I had a similar thought.. buy a used 2004/2005 and a wrecked Gk GT and swap all the good parts (v6 and manual trans) into the sonata and then add the Rippmods S/C

I'm going to go briefly off-topic here and mention that the Ripps SDS is not a wise move...only b/c I saw it here. PM me if you want to know the details of why not.

Hah...I see JonGTR already beat me to it (seems like some RD Tib guys know about the Ripps fiasco).

Back on topic. I was being sarcastic about the Mustang vid. The Sonata would be a nice vehicle to get. I'd get the NF Sonata though. Suspension that would easily outhandle any year Tiburon and an engine that produces more power than a Tib stock? Would be nice to race against the GKs with. smile.gif
Old 07-19-2005, 03:04 PM

yea, I know the GK guys keep trying to get above 300hp... not a wise move. Did you know that RippMods still says on their site that they have not blown any engines up?

Like my tib.. somewhere in the low 200s is fine by me. 225 is a really nice round number.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Arctic, feel free tos tart a new thread about it, not like Ripp ever answers the questions the RD crowd asks or offers to help us.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Jul 19 2005, 12:18 PM)
I saw one the other day.. they are a nice looking car. Not as bland as a Camry, but not as drop dead gorgous as an Acura TSX... handsome is a good word for it. A classy car that looks like it worth more than it's sticker price.

Matter of opinion, I'd take Sonata over TSX any day!

I was considering getting a Sonata for a daily driver. It really is a nice car. The only problem is the sticker price. You can get a well equiped Maxima for that.

No you can't.... equilly eqipped maxima will run you 5-7K more than Sonata.... I actually went on Nissan website last night and run a price check. I'd take Sonata over Maxima any day as well, just because every Russian here in Baltimore is driving one... so annoying.

But, what you can do, is take advantage of the chitty resale value and buy it used for $15k or less. I like the sonatas with the funky lights, (last model). So I'll probably get me one of those used and slap an Alpine on it.

That's what I might do in a few years. I'd never get a car off the lot knowing that I could get a lot nice deal for a year old car at the auction.

What got me into it was my friend who rented one for a week. It has the same pickup as the new Tib. It really is quick. Seems like it weighs the same as the new Tib also. So I wouldn't mind having a 14sec daily driver with luxuries.

They are quiet heavy, but would definitely give good competition to a GK.

did you test drive a manual or auto?

Manual only comes with 2.4L engine, one with 160hp. I might test drive that later.