Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Stig moving to Fifth Gear

Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Accent
Default Stig moving to Fifth Gear

Jeremy Clarkson may have said he was 'history,' but just weeks after being sacked by the BBC, another channel has snapped up The Stig.

Ben Collins, who wore the helmet and white suit for seven years, is racing over to Channel Five's rival motoring show Fifth Gear.

The professional driver will perform similar roles to those he did for Top Gear, including extreme racing challenges, from next week.

But unlike his 'mystery man' status at the BBC, Collins will also try his hand at some presenting, alongside hosts Tiff Needell, Vicki Butler-Henderson, Jason Plato and Jonny Smith.

The 35-year-old says: 'I'm delighted to be joining the Fifth Gear team. And I am looking forward to a new set of exciting challenges, apparently with and without the helmet.'

As his trademark white suit and helmet cannot be used for legal reasons, producers have revealed a colourful leather racing suit will be used instead.

Collins angered Top Gear bosses, including presenters Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond over his decision to write an autobiography which would reveal his identity. Their attempt to have an injunction to stop publication of his book passed failed in court.

He was fired by the BBC for breach of contract and Clarkson branded him 'greedy', even likening his actions to Michael Douglas’ iconic Wall Street character Gordon Gekko.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...Fifth-Gear.html

Fifth Gear starts next week too! thumbup.gif
Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Unfortunately, Fifth Gear sucks.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Fifth Gear will never, and has never been anywhere near as good as Top Gear. If Ben Collins wants to join Fifth Gear, that's fine. The Stig will alway be a Top Gear figure, no matter who the actor behind him was.
Fifth Gear < Top Gear for a bunch of reasons:
Presenters - Tiff Needell is way too spastic, and too crazy while driving. It seems like he's always just out of control. Compare to Clarkson, Hammond, and May, and he's a nutjob. And who are Henderson, Plato and Smith??? Never heard of them - Needell has the face of Fifth Gear, wheras in Top Gear, the 3 presenters always have an equal face.
Filmography - Top Gear absolutely blows my mind with their slow motion, epic filming, and great effects. Fifth Gear just blows.
Content - When was the last time Fifth Gear drove and sledded to the North Pole?? Nuff said.

Ben Collins can go to Fifth Gear and wear his "colorful leathers" - no loss here.

Honestly, just picture-wise, check out the difference here:
Lame:

Epic:
Old 10-13-2010, 12:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I want to drive the reasonably priced car around the track.