Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Starter Car

Old 10-25-2006, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

My best friend whom I known since kindergarden is about to get a job. It's about time and he just got his full license (thanks to me). He doesn't have a mom and his dad has been arguing with him to get a job. I called him the other day and wanted to cheer him up, told him he wasn't the first person to ever have gone through that. He's turning 21 and no job history and no car.

He doesn't like Hyundais (bastard I hate him for that because he's soooooo wrong) What's a good sporty starter car besides a Hyundai? I was thinking of a used 80's BMW. Those usually last fairly long and one of the chefs at my restaurant has one that I drove around. It's nothing compared to the tiburon but it's got some sport feel to it.

Anything under $2,000. Think I can find anything that his dad wouldn't mind letting him borrow? $1000 would be good, but like I said no Hyundai... (f****r)
Old 10-25-2006, 02:51 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT

has he ever drove a tib? i say convince him to whats right
Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

if he dosn't want a Tib, how about a civic? It's a downgrade, but still cheap and reliable.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Volvo?

Cheap and last forever.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:46 AM

I would advise against the Bimmer... much as I like them.. they can be money pits, especially the older models. They are also not as "safe" to drive as a front driver. If your friend has never owned a car before, rear wheel drive is a good way to learn all about oversteer... the hard way
Old 10-25-2006, 07:51 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

go for a GM F-body(camaro/firebird from late 80's-90's). those are great starter cars, they are cheap and u will learn all about workin on cars lmao.gif
Old 10-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Banned

seriously, under 2000$.. hmmm, i would say a early 90s foxbody stang.. parts are cheap, sporty, awesome aftermarket, will definately learn about how to fix a car.. but those 5.0L engines are beasts, and the cars are light.

or early talon, non turbo, so it most likely wont have been beaten up.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:39 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

has he ever drove a tib? i say convince him to whats right

as much as he is my best friend, he thinks he's too good for everything. he doesn't like hyundais because he doesn't like my car because it's broken down while we were driving a few times.

i'm pissed because he doesn't understand that, an alternator is a maintenance issue not the car. evaporation system was bad because I tampered with it. it's an automatic, of course an automatic will be slow not just on a Hyundai. a 122k tiburon that drives like new and was bought full options for $3,000 5 damn years ago is GOOD. he thinks muscle cars are the way to go and dodge, chrysler and ford are all good things. ''

i keep trying to make an example of myself by telling him, "dude, for the past 5 years we've been everywhere and not once were we without the tiburon"

he's piss poor and doesn't realize that he's at the VERY bottom of the pool.

mad-machine thanks for giving some backup on the BMW, never know what those things have been through and how many owners they went through. hmm, volvo could be good i'll add that to the list! i'll add the firebird/camaro to the list too, you think even if they were pushed to their limits they'd still turn out to be reliable? same goes for mustang. you guys are right on the spot with these suggestions.

all he needs a car for is to get away from the slum and work somewhere nice like me.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:42 PM

what about screwdrivers tiburon?!?! i know its hyundai, but does he think hes goin to be drivin a royce for his first car or what?!?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:48 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

Mazda Protege or 626 from early to mid 90's ... those are good cars, reliable and cheap!

Also agree with GM's and Ford but not my favorite choice, if he's poor he should go with small engines, fuel is not going down cheap as it was anytime soon, and it'll be worst in the future!