Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/automotive-news-other-vehicle-discussions-20/)
-   -   Should I get a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP? (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/automotive-news-other-vehicle-discussions-20/should-i-get-2005-pontiac-grand-prix-gtp-26531/)

Kit-Fox 02-16-2005 03:06 PM

Should I get a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP?

Basicaly the title speaks for my question, i have the ability of getting a used 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP fully loaded, its got only a few thousand miles. Navigation system, MP3, Supercharged, everything. I know its abig cow even bigger then the GK's but performance wise and luxury wise i think its better. Style wise and exotic wise, well, its uncomparable to the Tib, the Tib blows most cars away. I looked up forums for the Grind Prix's and they arnt as friendly as RD, but then again im not realy welcome here always sooo i highly doubt any other forums gonna want me so thats not as important. It only chugs 2MPG more so its not that bad. The price is between 10,000 and 14,000. Id have to sell the Tib first though, thats a big problem of mine, id put the price up as 7,000 but id sell it at like 6,300 at the least. Man the Grand Prix would be sweet. Whats your guys take on this?

jToIeB 02-16-2005 03:22 PM

In my opinion, the only Pontiac worth driving would be something along the lines of the trans am or formula 500...but that's just a preference thing I guess. All in all, it's nothing but preference and you should make the decision by whether or not YOU want it, not whether someone else recommends it! Heck...why do you think people buy Hondas? Well...bad example, because NOBODY can understand Honda customers, but people buy cars that you don't like because they like them, so it all just comes down to what you like...

Mad-Machine 02-16-2005 03:55 PM

I do not know Kit... it seems to me you enjoy using (and abusing) your tib... while the GTP might have more power and sip only a little more gas.. it is not going to handle as well... however, it is a newer car, so it might last longer than your tib is going to.

This is your decision... what can you see yourself driving?

Kit-Fox 02-16-2005 04:00 PM

Honestly, id like the luxury interior and technolagy and heads up desplay and MP3 navigation system and the engine in a tib while keeping the weight, i know, its not happening. How much handeling do u think im gonna lose on the GTP? Dont get me wrong i love the tib, its the nicest car ive ever seen, nicer then Ferrari's and Masseratis to me (not counting the Lotus Elise) but for resale reasons i need to get rid of it, the tibs got 68 thousand miles on it, and its a 2000, i need to get a newer car, i wish i could keep the Tib forever, but its gonna start giving me shit (wahoo AWS finaly freedom) soon, soo i think its time for it to go slowly, do you guys think the price im wanting for it is too high?

hamhead 02-16-2005 04:06 PM

I doubt the GTP is going to get 2mpg less than the Tib the way you drive... tongue.gif Whatever you think man, your call. They both decent cars.

iamcyclopseatme 02-16-2005 04:15 PM

If you find an 05 GTP for 14k with all the features you say, you must have a friend.. They are worth around 26k or so..

I have an 02 GP (non supercharged v6).. 3700 lbs, its a big car and a big adjustment, but performance wise theres no comparison.. You can get gtps running low 13s with very little money (compared to a tib).. You can get GT's running 12's with a turbo kit..

Kit-Fox 02-16-2005 04:36 PM

Ya your right about the price, its a rebuilt car, the back rear fender was shaken up and thats it, no alterations to suspension or anything, so its in mint condition, my mechanic is selling it, my family has bought about 19 or so cars from him the past 12 years, we get realy good deals, we got a 2003 Ford Taurus brand new (also rebuilt) for 10,000$ right when they came out it only had about 5000 miles, we have a 2004 Explorer Sport for 13,000, all these cars are in excelent mint condition, just with a salvage title, sooo i know the cars in great shape, and ya its about what 1200lb.s more then a tib so even with that its got better stock times then the Tib, and you guys know that im more into rally driving and drifting and stuff so u guys know id prefer the tib for its handeling and all but, i need more power and speed also though, im not gonna be able to do the stuff i am in the tib, well, ill still probably be able to do it, just alot harder. The tib is a great car for the type of driving i do onroad and soft offroad and stunts. And ya it does have all features, as i said, fully loaded with everything, coolest thing the Pontiacs have (like my old Boneville) that other cars shoudl use more often are the HUD (heads up display) it shows up on the windshield so u dont have to look down. I can use the SVT for a time if im able to sell the Tib, but the moment i sell it i can get the GTP so theres no problem in not having a car for some time, i just need to get rid of the Tib somehow for 6,500$. Im gonna put the Tib in some parking lot over the weekend at some busy overcrowded mall in one of the handicap spots (lol i have one of those little hanging things handicapped people have muahaha, im not handicaped though lol, srry to all people who use that and to all pregnant women lol) Anyway i could just use the Mustang over the weekends and hope someone goes for it, its bright red and flashy so maybe it will sell. I also gotta get rid of the stock rims. And the clanging in my rear suspension from all the backwords agresive driving and rear stunts.

CyberShark 02-16-2005 04:43 PM

That's not a bad price for a GTP. They're two totally different cars desighned for two totally different segments of the population...like comparing apples and oranges. The GTP is a large car with some power to it as well as being a demostic which allows you certain advantages in locating car parts, aftermarket or otherwise. The Tib is a small, nimble car with not as much power, but is more economical. A big difference maybe with the insurance..I'm sure the GTP will be more expensive to insure due to the power ratings especially if you have a bad driving record.

Kit-Fox 02-16-2005 04:51 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberShark)</div><div class='quotemain'>That's not a bad price for a GTP. They're two totally different cars desighned for two totally different segments of the population...like comparing apples and oranges. The GTP is a large car with some power to it as well as being a demostic which allows you certain advantages in locating car parts, aftermarket or otherwise. The Tib is a small, nimble car with not as much power, but is more economical. A big difference maybe with the insurance..I'm sure the GTP will be more expensive to insure due to the power ratings especially if you have a bad driving record.</div>

I got a good record, no official accidents or any tickets. any clue on how much id pay for it? i know i pay about $623 every 6 months for insurance now, im 16 and im a good student discount, and i got most of the discounts for the car -red and my magical ABS lol, if ut ell your insurance u have ABS its about a 65$ diferance and they have it in their books that its a possible choice sooo, i recomend that. The GTP i have to checkout the car again, i wonder if it has Triptronic? i know its got traction control and abs's and all that stuff though, i hope the ABS is controlable on/off cuz i hate ABS when i try to do stunts and hardcore driving.

OdessitPashka 02-16-2005 07:14 PM

I think you should buy it so we won't be terrorized by your stupidness smile.gif JK man

It's up to you weather you want luxury over driving a small economical car smile.gif

zoned019 02-16-2005 07:25 PM

it seems like everyone and their uncle have a friggin pontiac. i would hate to have one, i WOULD drive one just because im only 17 and some wheels are better than none...but..no.

Mad-Machine 02-16-2005 07:32 PM

well, my Mom has an older Sunbird.. trying to get her into a Santa Fe at the moment.. she likes those...

Another thought, being a newer car.. the Pontiac you are looking at Kit, is safer than the tib in an accident.

Kit-Fox 02-16-2005 07:33 PM

hmmm, good point, I used to have a 95 pontiac Boneville top of the line SSE, it was sooooooooooooooooooooo luxurious and nice, now, lets get a few things straight

the GTP does have a better 0-60 and 1/4 mile time then the tib stock.
It also weighs a whole lot more
maintiance on the supercharger?
the GTP is more luxurious then the QX or w/e that car hyndai makes, the technolagy that car has is way advanced, its much larger though so it does suck. and it dosent look half as nice. im just trowing in random thoughts in right now. The resale would be alot better though.

iamcyclopseatme 02-16-2005 07:38 PM

Would people stop knocking him for mentioning a pontiac? Alot of people on here have only owned their tiburon, so you have no clue what else is out there.. Theres tons of flaws with our cars, but you fail to see them because you love your car..

Grand Prix's are nice... They are semi-luxurious but at the same time sport.. www.clubgp.com They got some nice looking kits for em, lowering kits (just like anything else) and they have coupe models (which look really good IMO)..

Theres more to cars than just hyundai.. I love my tiburon, I want another, but my grand prix is damn nice..

Tibbychick 02-16-2005 07:43 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jToIeB)</div><div class='quotemain'>In my opinion, the only Pontiac worth driving would be something along the lines of the trans am or formula 500...</div>

I agree 100%

DON'T DO IT

I think pontiacs suck and are for the most part ugly. Id say dont waste your money.

Kit-Fox 02-16-2005 07:44 PM

tnx dude, ya ur right though, some people never had any other cars, some people had 50 other cars though, semi luxurious though? dude that things loaded like a cadilac, all leather, navigation, HUD, full computer diagnostic of everything, lol, but tnx for the safety mention Mad, the tibs easier to try to get out of a accident cuz its able to move out of the way faster but if it gets hit its screwed, i plan to avoid accidents so Grand PRix owns in that, my mom got hit by a mini-van once in the 95 Bonnevile and flew across 3 lanes of traffic, the passenger door was dented in, and part of the front fender, besides that the car was in great shape, trust me, they are rugged cars, much heaveir though 02.gif, also OdessitPashka just cuz id get rid of my tib wouldent mean i would stop coming here so dont u think ur gonna get rid of me that easily.

Sparticus 02-16-2005 07:53 PM

i would also say not buy it...

my reasoning may be different than others though.

although domestic manufacturers are trying to make a better vehicle, they are still years behind.... and i personally won't buy another American car unless something dramatic happens.

the import car scene is much more advanced and, simply put, better than the "big 3"

only American product i'm a fan of right now is the newer Caddy's... my God

iamcyclopseatme 02-16-2005 08:02 PM

American cars are behind in times? How so? Do some research.. American cars are much more advanced than imports..

You might think "oh import engines are far ahead".. Think again.. Google.com does wonders for the claim to fame 4 cylinder import engine, or lack there of...

Hyundais, in reality, are garbage.. They are low rent cars with very few options (besides the norm) and have no power.. They do have looks (mostly because they are smaller cars, not so bulky).. I dunno, maybe people should be a little more open minded..

I just purchased my GP, and it wasnt what I was looking for at all.. I NEVER had a THOUGHT of purchasing a GP, let alone a pontiac.. Im glad I did though..

Mad-Machine 02-16-2005 08:12 PM

I would not call a Hyundai garbage.. at least not a modern one.. maybe a 20 year old hyundai... but with their reliablity problems in the past.. they are not garbage.

Sparticus 02-16-2005 08:13 PM

thats fine. he asked for opinions...

i've had bad vehicles both from GM (olds) and the blue Oval (merc cougar). They're gonna have to win me back...

and from working at an Auto center for 3 years, i've seen my fair share of cars go through the doors.... most common vehicles w/ significant problems were american. then european. then asian.

are they making strides? yea, they are. but as it stands now, i probably wouldn't buy one

01tibby 02-16-2005 08:16 PM

i say dont do it.

moving to off-topic.

CyberShark 02-16-2005 08:47 PM

Get a coin and flip for it..wink1.gif

iamcyclopseatme 02-16-2005 08:52 PM

You do realize theres more american cars on the road than imports? I heard rough figures as 3 times as many.. That would mean, if they had EQUAL problems, thered be 3 times as many american cars in shops..

So.. Lets talk about computers (car management cpu's)
97-03 grand prix's have PCM's (same thing as ECU).. With our chips, we can either reprogram (with program and a special plug-in) or buy a PCM that will allow us to change virtually EVERYTHING..

I bet hyundai owners wished they could remove the rear o2 check so you didnt throw a CEL with just 1 o2.. But hey, hyundais are advanced..

Mad-Machine 02-16-2005 08:56 PM

shouldn't have moved this Tibby.. I was watching this topic like a hawk for the domestic bashing to start... I was going to warn people and then lock it if they did not put a quick halt to it.

Kit-Fox 02-16-2005 09:04 PM

No im liking this confilict, i dont want this to go completly Domestic vs. Import though. Lets try to keep it Grand Prix GTP vs. (Insert make, model, country, w/e here) ya, a coins gonna work, umm idk about what you guys are thinking about technolagocialy wise im sorry but id have to say the Grand Prix that im thinking about is more advanced then most imports

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/meris...e/y448626a.jpg
STOCK:
PCM's
OnStar
remote starting
AM/FM/CD audio system with MP3 capability,DVD navigation system
17-inch wheels and wheel covers.
dual-zone automatic climate control
3.8L 260 hp V6 which makes 19mpg but i dont realy care for fuel economy
Standard Engine3.8L 260 hp V6Horsepower260 @ 5200 RPMTorque (lb-ft)280 @ 3600 RPM

City (mpg)19Highway (mpg)28

SunroofOpt.Air ConditioningStd.Power WindowsStd.Power Door LocksStd.Leather SeatsOpt.Power SeatsStd.Max. Seating5

AirbagsDriver
Passenger
SideABS BrakesStd.Traction ControlStd.Stability ControlOpt.
Valves/Valve Configuration12/OHVDisplacement (cc)3790Bore X Stroke (in.)3.80 X 3.40Compression Ratio8.5:1Fuel Type/SystemGas/SEFITurbochargerNoSuperchargerYes

Front Headroom (in.)38.80Rear Headroom (in.)36.20Front Legroom (in.)42.20Rear Legroom (in.)36.20Front Shoulder Room (in.)58.00Rear Shoulder Room (in.)54.80Front Hip Room (in.)54.50Rear Hip Room (in.)54.30
(roomy aint it)

Cruise ControlStd.TachometerStd.Tilt SteeringStd.Tilt Steering ColumnStd.Heated Steering WheelN/ALeather Steering WheelStd.Steering Wheel Mounted ControlsStd.Telescopic Steering ColumnN/AAdjustable Foot PedalsN/AGenuine Wood TrimN/ATire Inflation/Pressure MonitorStd.Trip ComputerOpt.
Telematic Systems
GTPChild Safety Door LocksStd.Locking Pickup Truck TailgateN/APower Door LocksStd.Vehicle Anti-TheftStd.Braking & Tractionhttp://fp.images.autos.msn.com/image...ers/spacer.gifGTP4 Wheel Drive/All Wheel DriveN/AABS Brakes (2 or 4 Wheel)Std.Automatic Load-LevelingN/AElectronic Brake AssistanceN/ALimited Slip Differential or AxleN/ALocking DifferentialN/ATraction ControlStd.Vehicle Stability Control SystemOpt.Safetyhttp://fp.images.autos.msn.com/image...ers/spacer.gifGTPDriver AirbagStd.Front Side AirbagN/AFront Side Airbag with Head ProtectionN/APassenger AirbagStd.Side Head Curtain AirbagsOpt.Second Row Side AirbagN/ASecond Row Side Airbag with Head ProtectionN/APower WindowsStd.Electronic Parking AidN/AFirst Aid KitN/ATrunk Anti-Trap DeviceStd.Remote Controls & Remote Releaseshttp://fp.images.autos.msn.com/image...ers/spacer.gifGTPKeyless Entry (Remote Lock/Unlock)Std.Remote IgnitionOpt.

the one im looking at buying has all most all of this stuff, now find me a import under 70,000$ that has 70% of that.

pnkrckr 02-16-2005 09:12 PM

Hey Kit-Fox definately go with the GP! The L67 is a great engine, 3.8L supercharged. I've owned mine for about a year now and it has the exact same engine, although it's a 2000. Check out http://www.clubgp.com/ and go to the Message Forum. It's a national forum and theres TONS of GP owners that are willing to help you. There are so many mods you can do to this too, hit me up on AIM if you wanna know more. Oh yeah, you can't go wrong with the HUD:D:

Also check out my cardomain page in my signature to see some of the stuff you can do.

-Chris

Sparticus 02-16-2005 09:14 PM

i tell you what.... if you can get this car for like $12,000 or less and it's somethin you want... go for it

who will we have to ban though? joke.gif

this car is probably an automatic too, huh? eyeroll.gif

Tibminn 02-16-2005 09:17 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparticus)</div><div class='quotemain'>this car is probably an automatic too, huh? eyeroll.gif</div>

almost positive all gtp's are. but i think his is now, so hes not losing anything

iamcyclopseatme 02-16-2005 09:20 PM

All GP's are auto.. GTP's have performance shift option..

Kit-Fox 02-16-2005 09:24 PM

its an automatic that can beat any manual tib, any one, stock well almost any, but most, fastest cars in the world are automatic dude, trust me an auto can shift faster then a manual. once again the Buggati Veyeron comes up. BTW just cuz i wouldent have a tib anyomore dosent mean i wouldent come around here anymore so ud still have someone to ban, dont worry.

Koreanracer 02-16-2005 09:34 PM

Pontiacs are old GM designs. I dunno if the 05 is a complete redesign but I know the 04 is just a facelift of the pontiacs of the "wider is better" days. Yeah they have more HP, but I'd stick to my tib. It may be fast but I don't think it will be as fun as driving a tib on a warm summers day with sunroof down.. damn these CT winters.

Tibbychick 02-16-2005 09:35 PM

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/meris...e/y448626a.jpg

EWWWWWWWWW

but hey if thats what you want, go for it. Maybe it'll get you out of our hair LOL.

emstib1 02-16-2005 09:38 PM

I would say keep the tibby b/c it's so much more unique than a pontiac but i do say i like that orangish color they have on the new grand whatevers (i dont know the difference between prix and am)

pnkrckr 02-16-2005 09:39 PM

Fusion Orange laugh.gif:

Tibbychick 02-16-2005 09:39 PM

^yeah thats the problem, they all look so similar that its sometimes hard to tell the difference. Thats one of the reasons why I hate Pontiac, because all their cars look like they are based off each other. There's no creativity or uniqueness at all going on.

Kit-Fox 02-16-2005 09:44 PM

umm dosent the accent look like the elantra? isnt the elantra a 4 door tib? all the same size.

the grand am is extreamly small, larger then a tib though still lol, but the Grand Prix/Boneville/GTO are made on the same chassis, just abit diferant body, even I know the diferance.

Tibminn 02-16-2005 09:46 PM

yeah saying a grand am looks like a grand prix would be like saying an elantra looks like a tib.(well maybe thats a little exaggerated, but they are pretty different) if you know about the cars at all its WAY easy to tell the difference. I bet its just more of you know the names of the cars, just not which is which and thats why you confuse em. not sayin a ponti is unique, but i dont think they are all the same. they just have characteristics of eachother. same as how a lot of hyundais share similar fronts

emstib1 02-16-2005 09:47 PM

Thats why I wanted my tib, when I got it 3 years ago, no one had my car, I brought it home and everyone was asking what it was, but now I see a lot of them, but more gk's so I still feel unique

iamcyclopseatme 02-16-2005 09:47 PM

You do realize that GPs have sunroofs right? lol..

Gps arent as sporty as tibs, I agree with that..

Tibminn 02-16-2005 09:49 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (emstib1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thats why I wanted my tib, when I got it 3 years ago, no one had my car, I brought it home and everyone was asking what it was, but now I see a lot of them, but more gk's so I still feel unique</div>

that is true. grand prix's are EVERYWHERE. but hardly do i see gtp's. they are mostly base model, slow, waste of money se's... haha. thats one reason i love my tib tho! not many rd's around