Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Seat Ibiza Gti

Old 06-16-2006, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Mad-M you know a lot about this!! yeah that styling is off. the bodyshell had so much potential. an FTO looks like a cleaned up version of the fiat coupe. i've seen a few of them driving around, red and yellow ones mostly. and yes whoever designed those BMW's destroyed them anywhere after the 98 M5's.

Pandy, i've seen a few of those VW's in some motor sport magazines. a lot of Polish people used to run them in rallies to my awareness. i never knew that car existed! i'll check the statistics on it, how did you find out about it? i like the VW golf F2 a lot, however that's definitely not available to the public, no more than the Ibiza F2 is...

well in 1997 i was still a growing teen who loved cars yet was unable to drive them. what sold me is when my dad secured an art deal for the most amount of art sold at once. after driving around in Zastavas, beat up FIAT 126p, Cinquecento 500's, and other post communistic era cars, bought the 1997 SEAT Cordoba SE brand new from the dealer. I was with him. since it was a very sporty sedan back then we drove it to Croatia and I had fallen in love with the car. Sure a toyota corolla in america, but in europe back then it's a different way of thinking like i cannot explain. there, you're considered to be rich if you drive a honda. in america, i would NEVER drive a light green or neon yellow color car but over in europe light green and neon yellow cars look good! i remember looking at what a fine selection SEAT had with them. the dealership was also very pleasant and the cars were more than durable.

the WRC programme stard in 1998 and lead into 2000 when SEAT found out their cordobas irreversible steering design wasn't enough for them to perform well in the WRC. they dropped out shortly after, but not without having gotten dirty in the mud! I fell in love with the cordoba WRC and the ibiza F2. the lights, body panels, interior was simply a great overall redesign and the car had a very sporty independant suspension.

bottom line is, even though i'm 6'4 and americans like big huge caddilacs, i'll still be overly obsessed over these cheesy clown car honda civic-like hatchbacks simply because they bring back so many great memories from the trips to croatia and the rally impression SEAT marketing left behind.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:27 AM

Seat had some rallying experience through the 70s.. as did the polish arm of Fiat.. but only through fiat. In the seventies, Seat rallied their version of the 124 and 131 sedans... to some good effort. Unfortunately, Fiat is not exactly a wise corporate chairman. In all cases, Lancia was expected to win the rallies.. even at the expense of Fiat's own rally cars.. never mind Polski fiat and Seat.

I agree that the Cordoba was a nice looking car.. Seat is in much better hands with VW holding the leash.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:46 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

I had never heard of it either.. then my cousin all of a sudden says to me one day "Wake up cuzz we're going to Germany"

It was the golf rallye that got us our taste of the autobahn... 155? oooh yes laugh.gif

They do it in 2 different flavors.. the G60 which is a regular sort of golf GTI with more and the G60 Rallye which is the best golf they ever made.

They made (IIRC) about 5000 of them back when superchargers were allowed in Rally (about the time of the MG Metro 6r4) and then people started dying so they banned all superchargers from Rally..

It's hard to explain just how incredible that car is tbh as it is only a Golf, but when I say fast I mean, fast.. REALLY fast lol.