Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Say goodbye to the Mitsu Evo

Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Say goodbye to the Mitsu Evo

Looks like they're killing it off. I'm glad they killed off the Eclipse though....

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/02/r...chise-is-dead/

According to Gayu Eusegi, head of global product development for Mitsubishi, the Lancer Evolution X will be the last Evo the Japanese automaker ever builds. Eusegi says the move is part of a shift in strategy to put the company's product focus and ethos on leadership in EV technology.

To that end, Autocar indicates that Mitsubishi will release eight fully-electric or hybrid-electric cars by the time 2015 rolls around, and make a grab for a big portion of the CO2-reduction market share. It goes without saying that the fun-yet-fuel-swilling Evo just doesn't fit that mindset, particularly since it apes a rally car that no longer exists.

Despite the Evo's huge popularity, Mitsubishi apparently isn't scared of the step and says it's confident that consumers will glom on to the idea and rally behind the brand. By killing the Evo, they're making their intentions plain to an increasingly environmentally-conscious car-buying public.

Eusegi killed dead any notion that the brand would roll out a performance-oriented hybrid as well. "Maybe the world can change, and maybe someday we can do a motor race by electric vehicles. Maybe then we can enter the market agian," he said.

This report of the Evo's death would seem to stand in contrast to multiple reports that an Evo XI is in the works with a hybrid drivetrain. We're taking this latest Autocar missive with a few grains of salt, as we can see how Eusegi may have simply meant that an Evo that relies exclusively on internal combustion is dead – a hybrid Evo would seem to offer a nice technological bridge to Mitsubishi's more electrically minded future.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Dislike.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'm undecided.

The Evo is the only car that's had any success for Mitsubishi lately. They'll have to replace it with something that has power.

I hate that their SUVs took on the ugly punch-me-in-the-mouth grill that the last Evo had.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Limited

sadness.....looks like my plan of owning an evo after pharm school is down the drain. hopefully the Lexus IS F will still be around.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I KNEW it!!!! The EVO X fell off the ugly tree and hit all of its branches on the way down.

Mitsubishi as a whole went numb in 2001 when they gave Tommi Makinen that crummy EVO 7. It just kept breaking, and it was ugly as hell. Later they baffled everybody by threats of pulling out, then returning with this monstrosity:

(It had that goofy wing, and didn't look like anything homologated)

Then quit for good after a bad season in 2005. I'm surprised after the colossal glory and technical genius they built during 1992-2000, it all crumbled. They went from being THE team to beat (like Ferrari/Mclaren in Formula 1) to rubbish. Complete trash, even HYUNDAI beat them in 2002!!!!

1. Peugeot

2. Ford

3. Subaru

4. Hyundai

5. Mitsubishi

6. Skoda

7. Citroën
Old 03-02-2011, 06:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

great, another toyota. get rid of your flagship asphalt eater like toyota did with the supra only to amuse the masses with crappy gas sippers.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:04 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

evo dead!, fauq!!..I love evos!