Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Recovering An Eclipse

Old 05-19-2008, 06:20 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

So my buddy has been working on a Evo turbo project for the longest time. He finally decided to put that project on hold while we attain parts and work on the outside of the car. It really needs it more then a turbo. We're going to hybrid the EVO VII ECU with a Eclipse ECU and have the Eclipse ECU run the OBD-II functions. It's easier just to paint the car. We got alot done on the bumper this weekend.

The bumper had been previously split in half. Someone who owned the bumper before hand had repaired it with fiberglass resin jelly, some resin and fiberglass weave... But he used the jelly on the weave. Eeew.. It was a mess. The thing split again and started looking worse by the day. It had a huge "handle" on it where you could stick your hand in and try to pick up the car. The thing generally looked like ass.

This week, we're sanding down the car and primering. We have access to a paint booth this weekend and will be respraying it black. This is a project which has been needed for a long time and hopefully all comes out right. So hopefullly this memorial day, we'll have some pictures of a nice Eclipse. I can't think of a better way to spend a memorial day then bringing back what is only a memory of a nice paint job.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Nice work man! Looks good! thats always a great feeling bringing something back. To bad its a 3rd Gen. 2nd Gen eclipse's/Talons are one of my all time favorite cars.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^ditto, those second generation eclipses are great. the rest of the eclipses look like a mistake. Especially the newest 4th gen ones.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII GSR

3rd Gens have great potential, but few have actually opened it up. That's what I'm doing. I'm working on a full Evo set-up...only 2 door.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:32 AM

Lets see the paint job. DTN you should come to FL and help me paint socks car ;p
Old 05-28-2008, 12:17 PM
DTN

We ran out of time. He went on vacation for 2 weeks and he said he would return with a primered car which we can sand down on friday and paint on saturday. We've got a paint gun kit, a paint booth and what not. We just need to get him back here with his car primered and get this thing finished. Hopefully we can get it done in 2 weeks from Friday.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:19 PM

Vehicle: 1997, hyundai, tiburon

nice project, Q. how did the paint get that bad in less than 8 years? like all the sun fading and other crap, looks like its 20 years old, i know its a project i just cant understand how bad the paint is.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

3rd gen eclipses, specially the black ones were prepped with lemon juice, then sent to their employees to murrays to buy out all the cans of black and clear.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:02 PM
DTN

^^ LOL pretty much

QUOTE (butters @ May 30 2008, 06:19 PM)
nice project, Q. how did the paint get that bad in less than 8 years? like all the sun fading and other crap, looks like its 20 years old, i know its a project i just cant understand how bad the paint is.

Actually, there was a factory recall on the paint jobs for alot of the cars which started showing signs earlier. They baked the paint at high temperatures to cure it within a day. this lead to quick drying and poor adheasion. The clear started pealing away, then the paint. It's a common problem with 3G Eclipses, but it's assisted by never washing or waxing a car too.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:23 PM

Vehicle: 1997, hyundai, tiburon

ahh... understood, was just wondering because my brother has a 3rd gen eclipse but being that it is waxed all the time and kept in heated garage and all that great stuff he doesnt have to worry. haha got new pics of new paint?