Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Opinions On Rx8

Old 06-12-2008, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tib is/was modded with mods in sig, and the car i test drove was stick. what do you have done to your tib? is it anywhere close to what mine had? im going to guess not and just say you feel like you have this "fast" rx8 and dont want to be put down by the tib lol

read this article and figure what you think my tib was putting down and then you tell me who was faster

http://ezinearticles.com/?Mazda-RX8-Horsep...sy&id=47018

your rotary my be light but your tranny and differential make up for that weight. the car weighs over 3000 pounds and the "sports car" has a whopping 160hp deal.gif the car is a mid 14 sec car stock. so from what i stated above, i believe my tib was definitely faster. dont believe me then post up the 1/4 mile times of a stock rx8 or just read the article. owned.gif
Old 06-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Banned

well, the rx8 isn't the fastest car out there, its not bad.. runs a 14.5 stock which isn't too bad considering its a 1.3L NA rotary. I wasn't super impressed with the speed, but the driving experience is AMAZING. i drove a 6-speed and an autotragic, if you get one the 6-speed is a MUST in my opinion.

a NA tib will not be quicker than an rx8 with comparible drivers any day.

but i prefer stomping on rx8s in my neon cool.gif
Old 06-12-2008, 08:21 AM

hey man, my buddy has an rx-8, its a very nice car, only thing about it is like some people mentioned. It's not the fastest sports car but its decent.. it has terrible gas mileage.. interior is very nice, the backseats aren't too bad for a sports car and the 4 doors is a nice touch. Overall, with a drop and the appearance package (lip kit) it looks veryy nice. The body styling it self stock is a little aggressive and if you are looking for a clean looking car this may not be it.. but if it doesn't bother you then its a great looking car. Engine/exhaust note sounds pretty nice, almost like a supercharger sound. Plugs have to be change regularly and are about $200 bucks for 4. and it's not recommended to use synthetic oil with it.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:00 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (rollwitstyle @ Jun 11 2008, 11:49 PM)
tib is/was modded with mods in sig, and the car i test drove was stick. what do you have done to your tib? is it anywhere close to what mine had? im going to guess not and just say you feel like you have this "fast" rx8 and dont want to be put down by the tib lol

read this article and figure what you think my tib was putting down and then you tell me who was faster

http://ezinearticles.com/?Mazda-RX8-Horsep...sy&id=47018

your rotary my be light but your tranny and differential make up for that weight. the car weighs over 3000 pounds and the "sports car" has a whopping 160hp deal.gif the car is a mid 14 sec car stock. so from what i stated above, i believe my tib was definitely faster. dont believe me then post up the 1/4 mile times of a stock rx8 or just read the article. owned.gif

how bout reading your own post/link a bit closer b4 geting soo cocky?
Miguel P. is a college student
the auther of that link u supplyed fing02.gif
what he's writing about was a early problem with 03 04 models that have been simi fixed.

i perdy much have the same bolt on's as u besides the altezza lights laughing.gif .
im srry but the mods that are listed in your sig do not make u even close to even 160hp as u say the rx8 has. unless u tell me your subs added horsepower lmao.gif or stickers. tib comes with 140 hp stock and those numbers are high from the dealer. soo unless your telling me those mods added 20-30hp ya your perdy much full of it. as for 1/4 mile times ya your probly rite the rx8 has low torque its just how the engine is sad.gif

on a rx8 2003 model strait from japan it had after a dyno 160-180 hp no one knows why they had changed something in the ecu at the last minute but they did.
not including the fact that this article u posted was submitted in 2005 sad.gif and was writen by a random person/owner.

there has been a recall on the ecu to fix lack of power.

but i guess i could link stuff as u did.

tib:http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...i-tiburon-3.htm
rx8:http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...azda-rx-8-3.htm

anyway im not defending the rx8 that just seemed like a stab at me. the origional poster wants thoughts on how the car is and you saying it being as slow as a tib is wayyyyyyy wrong. dont get me wrong i love my tib but it is slow. the rx8 is fast but not as fast as a srt or evo but its rwd and fun.

i bought mine and i have no regrets.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:17 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I like the looks of the car definitely. HP wise not to impressive but could go with it. But there is one thing that bothers me. There has been quite a lot of "broken" rotary engines here in Croatia. And apparently there is a strange turning-off procedure to keep engine healthy as long as possible. From what I've heard from a few RX-8 owners rotary engine demands to be properly heated (10-20 min "normal" ride) before the gas pedal should be stepped upon propery. Also "turning-off" procedure to keep engine healthy demands from a owner to rev it up to 3000 RPM for a 10 seconds before turning of the engine??? Not sure that I would like to be bothered with this every time I drove it.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:56 PM

its very simple, just because a car has 160hp doesnt mean that every car that has 160 hp is going to do the same in the 1/4 mile, theres a little factor called power to weight ratio. to explain simply if you have a 1 pound object being pushed by 10 pounds of force and a 5 pound object being pushed by 10 pounds of force, the 1 pound object will move quicker. and yes the article was written by a student who researched and got solid facts, who did you want to write it mazda? the fact that it is a college student is erroneous. there is about a 600 pound weight difference in the two cars, you dont think that could make up for a 15hp difference? no one likes to have their car put down, but im just stating my opinion on the car as compared to my old tib. and as for your jab at my tails and sticker, what are you 12, dont be mad because my tib was faster then your rx8. and the subs were removed months prior to test driving the rx8. what mods do you have in your tib? "i have about the same mods" is a likely excuse. my original comment was not meant to be a jab at your car or you, but simply my opinion on the car as asked by the op.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Banned

not to start a debate.. but no tib with mild to medium NA mods would touch a stock rx8.. just a simple fact..

2004 Mazda RX-8 5.8 14.49 (6 speed) (MT Mar ‘04)

tdonnell had one of the nicest N/A setups on the side including a full head job and i believe he was on drag radials..

tdonnell 14.61@95.95 NA
Old 06-13-2008, 07:01 PM

Oh God... please forgive me mods....
bsflag.gif
160 hp. Really?

No N/A tiburon out there, mine, Tdonnel's, yours, etc can touch an Rx8. If you really think that your tiburon is faster, then actually drive one. Hell, race one in your tiburon and see who wins. No, it doesn't have low end torque. It's a 2 rotor engine that displaces 1.3 liters. How much low end torque do you think a 1.3 will put out? If it has pistons, I'll guarantee it puts out less power than a rotary. Go look at how one works. Search howstuffworks. It's amazing to sit there and watch. For every rotation of one rotor, the crankshaft spins 3 times. That means 2 combustions per revolution, on a 2-rotor. It takes 4 pistons to get the same effect, and even then, the duration of torque felt on the crankshaft isn't as long as it is for the rotary.

The car actually puts out 238bhp. It's been proven. Mazda over-estimated their bhp when they first came out with it, claiming it had 250. Big deal, with emissions and other restrictions, it lost 12hp. If you don't understand the car, then don't buy one.

They're unique cars that demand a little more than gas and keys. Mazda is constantly dealing with retarded customers who buy them, don't even remove the plastic wrapping from the owner's manual, and then brings the car back with no oil, a blown engine, and a disgust for all Mazdas. You can't short start one, since the engine (by design) is prone to flooding. It can't really seal the combustion chambers until it heats up. Otherwise, the apex and side seals will crack with thermal expansion. This causes a low compression issue when cold. Low compression on a cold engine makes it prone to flooding. So one morning, some executive goes out and moves his car to let his wife out of the garage. Being the mechanically-savvy person he is, he drives it back in the driveway and shuts it off. When he's ready to leave, it won't start. He makes some phone calls, people write scathing reviews, and people who believe magazine articles end up writing posts on Hyundai forums, where they claim their car is faster and more reliable.

The fact is, the car is a blast to drive.... when taken care of. The maintenance is only slightly more than any normal car. You have to add a little oil once in a while to make up for what was used up to lubricate the apex seals. That's the only extra maintenance a rotary requires. The spark plugs (in my Rx7) get changed every 15,000 miles, just like a normal car that uses resistor-type plugs. There is no timing belt to change, no valves to adjust (or burn out), no valve cover gasket that leaks, and no possibility of destroying the engine if redlined. The engine is about the smoothest running thing you'll ever drive, which is funny, seeing as they use polyurethane mounts. Replace one of the rubber mounts in your tiburon with a urethane one and tell me how smooth your ride is then. The car has got the lowest center of gravity of any car, since its engine is tucked down so low, and it has perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

You have to admit, in stock form, the Rx8 is quite amazing. The only down sides to the car are the poor fuel economy (which has severely improved over the Rx7), you can't short start it, and the fact that you have to add oil. Hell, I'm 6'2", and I sat comfortably in the back seat behind my brother, who is 6'4", for a 10 hour drive. You sit so low and so far back, you really do have plenty of head and leg room. A baby seat probably won't fit in the bucket seat. But then again, we're comparing a this car to a Tiburon. My wife can't even sit in the passenger seat with a baby seat behind her in my car. Don't even think about fitting 4 adults in an RD.

Alice6, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread. Somewhere in there I think I may have answered your original question. It's not too hard to figure out where I stand on the 8, is it? lmao.gif

Edit: the article states that 25% driveline losses are unacceptable. People here religiously claim that a stock RD will dyno at 100 whp. That's a loss of 29% from the factory rated 140.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

My friends rock RX-8's car club in Jersey and across the North East and depending on what your looking for you can't go wrong with this car for having fun with. They have some very unique and sexy cars in that club. Highly modified to just enough to make you look twice and know it's something to appreciate. I heard talks of a remade RX-7 and adding an RX-9 but not sure what kinda car thought was going to be.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (rollwitstyle @ Jun 13 2008, 12:56 PM)
its very simple, just because a car has 160hp doesnt mean that every car that has 160 hp is going to do the same in the 1/4 mile, theres a little factor called power to weight ratio. to explain simply if you have a 1 pound object being pushed by 10 pounds of force and a 5 pound object being pushed by 10 pounds of force, the 1 pound object will move quicker. and yes the article was written by a student who researched and got solid facts, who did you want to write it mazda? the fact that it is a college student is erroneous. there is about a 600 pound weight difference in the two cars, you dont think that could make up for a 15hp difference? no one likes to have their car put down, but im just stating my opinion on the car as compared to my old tib. and as for your jab at my tails and sticker, what are you 12, dont be mad because my tib was faster then your rx8. and the subs were removed months prior to test driving the rx8. what mods do you have in your tib? "i have about the same mods" is a likely excuse. my original comment was not meant to be a jab at your car or you, but simply my opinion on the car as asked by the op.

im perdy much done with u at this point. im not gnna list all of my mods ...srry. me telling u i have about the same as u should have been sufficient. the only bolt on mod i can think of that i dont have is the airram but my stocker is port n polished. i mean really man do i need to fight with u about how fast your tib was? or could u just believe i know what im talkin about because i have been here for along time and own a n/a tib lmao.gif

i do believe Agreen summed it up best as far as the rx8 goes. gj Agreen a rotary enthusiast i see fing02.gif