Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Opinions On Rx8

Old 06-11-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

i'm thinking about selling the tib (mods in sig) and getting Mazda RX8. before everyone jumps in and says "get a 350z they're faster" i don't want a 350z. i'm just looking for opinions on the RX8. any input is appreciated!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:18 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

it's the one car that looks really effin sexy with a vertical door kit.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned

i was VERY close to getting an rx-8 over the srt4, but a few reasons let me to making the choice of srt4.

the rx-8 is a badass, fun to drive car in every way. VERY nice exterior, VERY nice interior, GREAT feel driving it.

heres the reasons i didnt pick up an rx-8.

pretty cramped back seats.. not terrible, but 4 grown people would not wanna be in tha car. wouldn't have been a big deal if i didn't have to put a car seat back their for my son.

not familiar with the motor type, so i wouldn't wanna risk tinkering with it.. wasnt a big part of my decision, but had some weight.

and they get pretty bad gas mileage. something like 14city/20highway.. thats TERRIBLE. under normal driving, my srt4 gets about 24city/30highway. with gas prices these days, that was the biggest part of my decision..

if i didn't have a kid and had extra money to put in the gas tank, the rx8 would have been my decision HANDS DOWN.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:34 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

gas mileage is rated at 18 city 24 highway, which really i think is do-able. it won't be an everyday car, at least in the summer. i have a motorcycle that i use to cut back on gas.

the main features i like:

exterior and interior are both incredible, only thing i'm not too keen on the separated back seat, but being single now i don't have to worry about that yet.
also, 6 speed manual with rear wheel drive. i just have to.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

you wont get 18/24.. check out some rx8 forums and you will see what i mean.. best you can hope for is like 16/22

yeah, the seperated back seat looks cool, but posed potential problems for me, which is why i passed.

and it might have worked for a while, but in occasion of a bigger car seat, or needing to pick a friend up or something, i didnt wanna chance it and be stuck with basically a 2-seater.

for the fun factor, i give it two thumbs up. but the practicality of the gas combined with the basically useless backseat, i give a thumbs down.

you can get a supercharged ls1 and get the same gas mileage
Old 06-11-2008, 07:38 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The RX-8 has a rotory engine. This means it's one of the few cars which can support a full hydrogen burn without risk of predetonation from what I've read. Hydrogen seems to be a promissing fuel for the future and there are Hydrogen conversion kits out there.

Other then that, it's a pretty nice sports car. I'd rock one.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:23 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

i just bought a rx8 about a month ago i have no regrets.

as socks has said its a diferent engine, the backseats arent the best, and the gas milage isnt good.

u just gotta remember its a sports car its gnna eat gas.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:30 PM

i was in the same boat as sock, i test drove an rx-8 and it was slower then my tib was. i could not go from a car which i didnt think was that fast to a car that was slower then mine. i know everyone is going to throw in the fact that it has so and so horse power and so and so torque, but i got on it when i test drove it and it was slow. i absolutely love the way this car looks, but it just doesnt have the power to back it up. now if it were turbo laugh.gif i would have bought it over my srt, but i just couldnt live with horrible gas mileage and no power. so if your not looking for power then i guess get the rx-8
Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

lmao.gif ^im sorry but there is no way your tib is faster. im not gnna say horsepower or torque because there is no comparison. maybe u just didnt open it up maybe u didnt rev it past 6k maybe the car u test drove was autotragic? i dont know but saying the tib is fast or anywhere near as fast is wayy past crazy.

it has power and handling the gas milage isnt great but its the funnest car i have driven.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:29 AM

^^^ He hasn't specified his tiburon being modified or stock.

1(RX7)> 2*(RX8^2)

I like the 13b and 12a engines so much better based on exhaust sound alone. Damn side casing exhaust ruins it for me. I am glad mazda marches forward with the rotary engine though.