Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

The Nissan 300zx

Old 10-05-2007, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I'm trying to learn how to restore cars. At first my dad and I were going to try and restore a 70 Chevelle, or a 69 Camaro. The only cars that we find are pretty much rotted inside and out. So my dad brought up to me the other day that we should look for a newer car instead, and I've always liked the Nissan 300zx TT. Are these cars honestly as bad as I hear they are? I'd really love to get one just to learn how to do body work on, but I don't want some pos that isn't going to run. Am I going to have a huge problem in general with this model, or is it just on engines that have been beaten/worn? Please help me out and tell me all you know about this car, I've done my research but I can't really find too many problems with it.

EDIT : Looking at the last generation, years 90-96 tongue.gif thanks Kantizuni.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

I don't know anything about em, but saying what year you're looking at might help others to help you. laugh.gif
Old 10-05-2007, 09:26 PM

The 300zx is so sexy. Whoever u get it from probably will have beaten the crap out of it so i would definatly be prepared for motor work. Any TT 300zx i have ever seen in person has looked to be in perfect condition. Some of them are T-topped, so if u find one, be sure to check the condition of those, in some older cars if helped work on w t-tops we've come across rust, and once a guy told me the roof musta warped at some point because it was near imposible to fit his tops back on. ive seen kids drag cars w t-ops and brake the glass out of em..

never worked on a 300zx personally, so i couldnt tell you much more.
i wish i had a project "nissan" of my own now..
Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

my sisters ex had one i drove around. it was really fun but man, 90,000 miles and the transmission was out, whole underbody rusted, needed new paint baad, things on the inside were messed up like panels & upholstry coming off. it's a heavy ass car too. aftermarket parts are expensive as hell. i would pick a newer more commercial car that's easier to work with an has cheap parts.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:33 PM

Damn, Well there were a couple of cars we were looking at. A newer Trans Am, newer Camaro, Tib FX (But I don't really want to have two cars with the same body), and an s14.5 240sx. The 300zx is my favorite though, I still want to look but I'll be sure to check for these things when we actually go hunting. Thank you both for pointing those things out, especially the thing about the t-tops. I would've never thought of it.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:51 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

don't let any of this scare you!! but for learning how to work on cars, from my experience the Z/TT would be close to a nightmare to learn on. If I had your privelages, I'd shoot for the camaros. OdessitPashka (former rd member) had bought 2k one and it was sort of similar to the tiburon but really tough and firm. I think he sort of got bored of the styling and sold it off because he told me that he missed the curves of the tiburon. he later bought a firehawk (firebird special edition) go figure, had more curves. he definitely got his experience from the tiburon, but he told me like everyone else that told me muscle cars are the best because you learn everything based on bolting on parts that give you big worthy gains, so you see the magnified effect of your work. plus camaros are modern enough that they can be considered commercial. and there are no tight spaces to hesitate with, it's just bolt on bolt off.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

The 300zx (Z31 and z32) are all good cars. The motors are built really strong. The only problems may be the trannies. However, the Z32 TT trannies are built really well and can hold 800+hp. But like all things, they can be mistreated.
I'd say if it sounds, drives, and looks ok, then it's good to go.

Be prepared to throw TONS of money at it though if you want to make it go fast. There's two of everything, and the stock turbos need to be replaced once you reach about 450whp.
Personally, I'd recomend the Z31, which I own. It's a single turbo, has the same bottom end motor as the Z32 (VG30), easier to work on, and can be found for $3k or less in great condition. I bought mine for $300. A Shiro edition is the one you really want to keep as a collectors item. Or an 84 AE with all that cool 80's digital crap and the "b!tchin Betty" that bugs you about the door being open. wink1.gif
Old 10-05-2007, 09:55 PM

Honestly, I don't think I want to do any other mods to the engine. It's already TT'ed so I wouldn't think it'd need much more. I've heard it has 300HP stock with the TT and that's good enough for me, even if it is a tank tongue.gif I just want to learn body work on it, I can't mess with engines. I'm too afraid I'll mess something serious up and I'll have ended up trashing the car. There's actually quite a few TT 300zx's around here for under 5,000. At least 5-8, so I'll have a good range to look at.

EDIT : And to HKC, yeah I was really looking forward to working on a 70 Chevelle or a 69 Camaro since those are some of the hottest muscle cars I've seen. The thing is it's either in pristine condition or fubar. The only car I'd actually consider working on when they're that screwed up would be a Chevelle SS if it had the original engine, but that'd probably be rusted to hell too. That and there's basically no chance of getting a muscle car up here in the mountains, but for some reason tuner cars are abundant. wtf1.gif
Old 10-05-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Then go for it, and then just throw in the simple mods. A boost controller and FMIC kit will get it into the low 12's. It'll run 13's stock which is plenty fast.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:07 PM

^^ Alright, I think I will smile.gif Thanks everyone for your help.