Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

New Ford Mustang Design Is Unveiled For 2015 Model Year

Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default New Ford Mustang Design Is Unveiled For 2015 Model Year

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...015-model-year

Ford unveiled its new Mustang today, in a splashy event that was undermined a bit by leaked photos that showed the new model's design in recent days. Initially introduced nearly 50 years ago, the Mustang is set for a global release, a first.

From Michigan Radio, Tracy Samilton reports for our Newscast unit:

"Ford designers say they took design cues from Mustang's heritage, especially the 1967 Fastback. Mark Fields is Ford's Chief Operating Officer. He says Ford didn't need to take global tastes into account because the Mustang already has universal appeal.

"'We have over 5.5 million Facebook fans for the Mustang,' Fields says. 'I think that's more than Lady Gaga. And over half of those fans are overseas.'

"Ford will offer a four-cylinder Eco-boost engine in the Mustang along with the traditional V-6 and a V-8. The car will go on sale next fall."

Reacting to the new sixth-generation car, several media outlets are noting Ford's attempt to balance the car's iconic standing as an American muscle car with practical concerns such as fuel economy, which could make it a tough sell in international markets with high gas prices.

"The offering of a four-cylinder turbo engine signals a clear shift toward modernity and fuel economy," writes Jerry Hirsch at The Los Angeles Times, "though today's technology gives that small power plant a whopping 305 horsepower — equal to that of the vaunted 289 V-8 that powered the 1966 Shelby Mustang."

Popular Mechanics says the new car "has left many of the retro design cues in the past." The look " is clearly more aggressive," says Leftlane News.

The option of a small engine size and the car's sleeker design are two features that analysts say are geared toward helping the Mustang appeal to buyers overseas.

But as several Mustang fans in Germany told Tracy for a report for All Things Considered, not all foreign buyers are tempted by smaller engines.

"You put the window down, and the arm outside, and you hear the V-8 engine......it's very cool," Timo Schneider said.

Others say they're still drawn to the car's heyday, which began in the 1960s. "For me, it started in childhood," says Michael Sommer. "That Mustang Mach 1 from 1973, I think, that's a dream car, that's the dream!"

Hate to admit it, but I kind of like the looks of it.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2013 BMW 128i

Ugh, they keep getting uglier.

I also read that it will be a turbo inline four... what!?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I like it, but you do have to squint to see the Mustang from some angles.

Turbo 4: why not? All the power of a 6 or small 8, with the fuel economy of a 4, who loses? Ford has been working pretty hard on their ecoboost stuff, why not put it in this car also? Besides, I'm pretty sure there will be a V8 option

Imagine how much room there would be to work on an I4 in an engine bay that was designed to fit a V8 :biggrin:
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

f*cking. Ugly.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

I like it.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 AM

Vehicle: 2013 BMW 128i

Originally Posted by Stocker
Turbo 4: why not?
I don't have a problem with the engine itself as it actually sounds pretty impressive, I just don't think that it fits with the modern Mustang image. I also don't like the idea of a Mustang trying to fit in with the tuner cars, naughty, naughty Mustang.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

That awkward moment when V8 domestic owners can no longer make fun of 4 cylinder turbo imports......

Old 12-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Mustang SVO? Anyone? This isn't the first time a 2.3l turbo 4-cylinder has been in a Mustang.

I think it's a great thing. The Ecoboost 2.0l is plenty in the Focus ST. If it wasn't FWD that would be a phenomenal car.

I love the looks of the new Mustang. I haven't checked up on the specs that have been given, but if it's as good as the outgoing model or better I think it'll be really successful.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

There is no modern mustang image. It's a blank slate, ready for dudes to race the GT/SVO variants, chicks to commute in same, and everything in between, all the way down to people who would puke on a fast back from the sixties and just love the eco turbo and fresh styling. Mustang takes all kinds.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Meh.

Was really hoping they'd lose the whole, "I'm a Baby Boomer and I wanna recapture my youth" retro styling. Seriously, I'd rather they bring back the Probe than stay on this path.