Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

My Testdrive Of V6 Genesis Sedan

Old 08-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Prices seem pretty standard:
$33,000 base model
$36,000 Premium Package
$40,000 ^+Technology Package

Exterior: Very impressive size, huge trunk, sexy tail lights with a hint of BMW styling. It had 18" wheels with very little fender gap (don't need 20's to make it look good!) and turn signals on the back of the side mirrors.

Engine Bay: I test drove the v6 (v8 doesn't come out 'til September according to the dealership). The big bulky airbox is on the passenger side, with an inlet above the front grill. Removal should free up plenty of space. There seems to be plenty of room to put some nice headers (maybe a twin turbo setup?). The alternator, pulleys, and belts were primarily on the front of the engine, mostly on the driver's side.

Interior: Upon sitting, I was immediately impressed! I recently purchased a 2009 Murano for the simple fact it was the most comfortable thing I could find. More so than the Infiniti G or FX, or Hyundai Veracruz/Tuscon. The Genesis was definitely as comfortable as the Murano. I didn't test out the headrests, but they didn't appear to give the same support as the Murano. Not a big deal in my opinion.

Front Interior: Nice leather wrapped steering wheel - feel reminded me of the 2000-2001 Tiburon. The steering wheel controls were easier to use than my Murano's (volume, bluetooth, radio controls). The dash had a nice looking strip of black leather going across. The leather was beige and the dark wood trim was beautiful (usually not a fan of cheap wood trim).

The gauges were white, and all knobs, digital readings, and accents were blue. Very attractive. The center of the gauges displayed my current MPG in a blue digital readout (btw, V6 sticker estimated 18-27 MPG).

The center display and center console controls were very user friendly. Hyundai offers one-year of XM service for free. I played with the navigation (easy to use search feature by 'typing' a business name or address), the XM/radio controls and phonebook appeared very user friendly. Again, I was impressed.

One hic-up.. it was 92 degrees and the car had been sitting outside. As I left the dealership, the salesman told me about the heated seats (both passenger and driver) and the cooled seats (driver only). So, I pushed the button and waited for the cooling to begin. About 2 minutes down the road, I realized I was sweating! Oops, I hit the heat instead of cool! Within 20 seconds I could feel the difference... a nice coolness in my mid-back, almost like a fan was blowing directly on it.

The glass power sunroof could tilt up or slide back completely out of view (not tilt then slide). The only potential downside is that the cover for the sunroof is manual, you've gotta pull it back by hand.

The rear-view camera was VERY nice. I have it in my Murano, but the Genesis allowed for a wider view and more crisp/clear picture. Very nice. Oh, and when you put it in reverse, the rear sun-shade automatically collapses! Yes, the rear windshield has a mesh-type sun shade that raises up or lowers when not in use. When you put it back into gear, the sunshade will raise back up. There's a button to the left of the steering wheel to control it manually.

The 17 speaker audio system (15 speaker with premium package, 17 speakers with technology package) was impressive. I didn't throw in any rap CDs to test for bass, but the XM radio with the speakers was very nice! I noticed there was a small tweeter grill above my left ear in the roof.

When I turned off the car, the seat moved back, the power-telescoping and power-tilt steering wheel moved to provide easier exit/entrance of the vehicle. With the front seat moved pretty far back, I was able to COMFORTABLY sit in the back seat without my legs/knees touching anything (I'm 5'8 210 pounds). The backseat was very comfortable as well, with air vents on the back of the center console AND on the side near the doors (4 air vents total in backseat). The center armrest had two cup holders, and a "trap door" to provide access to the trunk.

Like many of the new Hyundai vehicles, the back of the front seats have indentions for your knees, which provides an extra inch or so of space. This vehicle could easily and COMFORTABLY fit three adults in the backseat.

The paint was black, with a beautiful pearl throughout. They also had a very nice red color ("Cabernet Red Pearl") inside the showroom.

I grabbed a brochure...
Exterior color options are: White Satin Pearl, Platinum Metallic, Sterling Blue Metallic, Sapphire Blue Pearl, Champagne Beige Metallic, Cabernet Red Pearl, Titanium Gray Metallic, and Black Noir Pearl.

Interior color options are: Cashmere (tan), Jet Black, and Saddle (redish clay)
Old 08-18-2008, 02:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yes yes yes, great car, we all know this, but how did it DRIVE? LOL

BTW, the Tuscon is Hyundai's cheapest SUV, why would you put that up against a Morano? LOL You should have driven the Santa Fe and the Veracruz, both with the Limited package. 2 of the nicest city SUV's I've seen EVER. so frigging nice. Both a good comparison with the Genesis for a sedan.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Administrator

yes, I should have included the Santa Fe in there as well.

Honestly, the Veracruz was our first choice... but the Murano was more comfortable, less top-heavy and body roll, and several thousand dollars cheaper (we got Nissan employee discount, VPP).

Ah! The drive... I knew I was forgetting something....

It handled VERY well for being such a huge body. The suspension was GREAT... I went on backroads with lots of twists and turns, and it was just as fun to drive as my Tib. It has a great turning radius and good braking power.. It had very good acceleration for being a ~3,800 lbs. with a v6. I thought it would be very sluggish off the line to get that much weight moving, but it was very responsive. I only had it for a few miles, and didn't have any interstate time (maybe next time with the v8) but the throttle response and torque was more than adequate for my tastes. The calipers looked to be a nice size, though I don't know the specs on them. It was a very smooth and comfortable ride, can't wait for the v8!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:10 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Is there a standard manual trans option or only automatic and a shiftronic? (not sure what tech Hyundai is using nowadays in the newer models). I'm interested to know the weight distribution, does it say in the brochure?
Old 08-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Administrator

from the brochure:

09 GENESIS_PERFORMANCE

Advanced 6-Speed Transmissions:
Both V6 and V8 Genesis models feature a 6-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC and lock-up torque converter for improved highway economy. The V6 has an Aisin unit, while the V8 is mated to a ZF model - two of the most respected brands in the world.

REAR-WHEEL DRIVE ARCHITECTURE:
This all-new architecture gives Genesis a nearly ideal 52/48 weight distribution, and allowed the engineers to place the front wheels farther forward. That's why the Genesis exhibits exceptionally neutral handling characteristics and linear steering performance.

290-HP 3.8L V6 ENGINE:
This all-aluminum engine boasts a robust 290 horsepower and 264 lb.-ft. of torque while incredibly achieving a ULEV emission classification. Its advanced design features Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing, multi-point fuel injection and a variable intake system to optimize performance at low and high speeds. It also features a silent, maintenance-free timing chain for smooth, quiet power.

EXCEPTIONAL TOSIONAL RIGIDITY
With a body that offers 12-14% more torsional rigidity than a BMW 5 Series, Mercedes E-Class or a Lexus LS, the Genesis delivers precise steering and handling as it offers a quiet, refined and comfortable ride - two suspension goals that normally conflict.

5-LINK FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSION:
The front set-up has upper and lower control arms linked to the wheel that create a virtual kingpin axis to reduce unwanted kickback and improve steering response. The rear features a precisely tuned geometry optimized to deliver incredible ride and handling.

It also states that the drag coefficient is a 0.27. The v8 goes 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. The internal hard drive is 40GB and the screen is 8" VGA

oh, and in the center console there was an Aux input, USB plug, and power outlet... it also had two 'indentions' to allow for the iPod wire to come through with the console being closed. So, the AUX input allows for iPod to be played through all 17 speakers, and the USB allows for charging of iPod.

I didn't realize they moved from a timing belt to a timing chain.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:05 PM

Awesome to hear that your getting a quality sedan for a decent price.

What do you all think about the Genesis Coupe coming out? I just a read a little bit on it and looks like its replacing the tibby :-(
Old 08-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Terrific writeup, thanks!! Can't wait to start seeing them on the streets.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Administrator

QUOTE (Blue Blaze @ Aug 18 2008, 05:05 PM)
Awesome to hear that your getting a quality sedan for a decent price.

What do you all think about the Genesis Coupe coming out? I just a read a little bit on it and looks like its replacing the tibby :-(

I think seeing the price of the sedan has made up my mind to get the Coupe. I had dreams of supercharging that V8... but at $45,000 I think NOT!

I can't wait to get a base model 4cyl coupe and throw a couple grand into the engine haha.gif

if only I could start saving NOW I'd be able to buy it in 2013 when the 2nd gen comes out laugh.gif
Old 08-18-2008, 07:06 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

QUOTE (majikTib @ Aug 18 2008, 05:17 PM)
5-LINK FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSION:
The front set-up has upper and lower control arms.....

lower AND upper arms?? so, this has shocks in the front instead of struts? *confused*
Old 08-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Administrator

dunno.gif