Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

My Bike

Old 07-17-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With me signing off on the the tib (affectionately referred to as Grimloq) tomorrow, I splurged and bought a co-worker's bike today (dubbed Sideways... yes, named after a Transformer motorcycle). It's a 1995 Yamaha YXF600R. I've never driven a bike before, so this was all new for me today. Just picked up my permit this morning and picked up the bike this evening. It needs some work, and some TLC on body panels and chain, but so far, so good! It was all low-speed learning this eve, I braved shorts, though pants would have been smarter. Didn't fall or drop the bike, it just would have been smarter!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:19 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

nice dude. you'll be on the road in no time. the first day i rode my bike, i got bored after 30 minutes and took it on the road. couple days later i went on the highway. its pretty simple. you just gotta make sure you're watching EVERYTHING around you. the biggest problem is assholes cutting you off or not using directionals

can't wait to trade mine up next year to something bigger
Old 07-17-2008, 11:30 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

"YZF-R6... never been on a bike before... just picked up my permit this morning..."

lol

It seems pretty easy to get a rider's licence in the States. We have to do a 2-day course before we can even apply for a Learner permit. To get the Learner permit you have to pass a separate theory test. You can then ride most (but not all) 250s, some 400cc & 500cc bikes & the odd power-restricted 650cc. You have your Learner's permit for a minimum of 3 months (unless you're over 30yo). Then you have another full day course to get a Provisional licence. Then after you've waited a year (unless you're over 30yo) you can start looking at bigger bikes.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:51 PM

LUCKY..............I wish i hadz a bike sad.gif . Gonna learn any tricks, lol? Nice bike man, id get one of those cool protective vests that help if you fall, but hopefully you wont.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:06 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

bike looks good...

there are classes that you can take that will give you "M" class license...hopefully i will be able to take my class later this year and get a bike late winter or eariler spring for my daily driver(LOL)...live less then 2 miles from my job (on base) nana.gif
Old 07-18-2008, 09:52 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

to get your permit in ohio all you have to do is know how to turn it on and how to stop/use signals literally the test for permit just asks you how to operate the bike and what hand signals to use on a bike.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:14 AM

To get a permit in NY, it's seriously 20 multiple choice questions. I had never even touched a motorcycle prior to taking the test, no handbook, nothing. I went in, gave them $21, took the test, and walked out with a permit to ride/drive. The first 10 questions were about drinking alcohol effects and laws, the next 3 were street sign identification, and the last 7 were motorcycle related. I got one answer wrong (How will your bike react if your rear tire goes flat/blows out while riding... A)Sluggish steering B)Bike will jolt left and right C)Nothing D)The bike will immediately stop moving...)...
Old 07-18-2008, 12:41 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (OzFxCoupe)
It seems pretty easy to get a rider's licence in the States. We have to do a 2-day course before we can even apply for a Learner permit. To get the Learner permit you have to pass a separate theory test. You can then ride most (but not all) 250s, some 400cc & 500cc bikes & the odd power-restricted 650cc. You have your Learner's permit for a minimum of 3 months (unless you're over 30yo). Then you have another full day course to get a Provisional licence. Then after you've waited a year (unless you're over 30yo) you can start looking at bigger bikes.

Talking about difficult? OVerhere ein Croatia you first have to take theory classes (30 hours, aprox. 1 month) after which you take an exam - cca.US$50 for exam and cca. US 100 for classes. Then you have to take driving learning hours (another 20 hours of practice driving) - cca. US$150. Once completed both theory and practice you can take driving exam (real live driving with examiner following you around behind you while driving) - US&50. If you pass both of those you get your licence which alows you to drive 250 cc max. for the next two years. After two years you are allowed to ride bigger bikes. mad.gif mad.gif

Oh yes I forgot, you have to pass first aid exam also - cca. US$ 25. mad.gif

For the car drivers licence is more or less similar with one difference - it costs more. Getting car driving licenses will take around US$900 out of your pocket. And if you are not older than 24 years of age you are not allowed to drive cars with more than 75kW. owned.gif

Now, what you think about that drillsergeant.gif
Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 PM

Nice to see someone else join the bike club :-)
Mines a Yamaha V-Star Classic 650. I've had it for two months!

I can't believe how different places are with getting the motorcycle license. In Nevada its preferred to take the safety class to help with Insurance. The cost ranges from $0, $100, $250-$350. $0 is if you go through the base program ;-). They are typically one half day and two full day classes. Half day is strictly class room - study booklet. The next full day is partial class room then outside riding. The last full day is riding and riding course test. These classes give you your license as well as a cert saying your safe (for insurance reduction).

I taught myself the same way you did Phroq. Just hop on the bike and start practicing -- I went to a local high school parking lot was empty and plenty of room :-p. Just take time and you will be owning the road in no time!
Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

they have some sheity questions like that here too. ex: what do you do to overtake a vehicle? a) speed up, wait, then pass. b) pass while speeding up c) speed up while passing d)wait, pass, then speed up rolleyes.gif

looks wonderful, and it's good to see you'll be saving lots of cash on gas but BE CAREFUL. i know you are, but my friend did the same thing and said winter/rain conditions are unforgiving.