Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Might Trade My Sonata For A 88 Mazda Mx 6 Gt Turbo

Old 03-23-2006, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was browsing thru craigslist during lunch, looking to see how much i could get for the sonata, and started slacking. I found this for sale:
mx 6 gt

i was skeptical, but sent him an email asking if he wanted to swap cars. I wan't expecting it, but he was interrested. Both our cars have problems (i have ebrake issues which fail inspection, he has really old struts), but he isn't opposed to that. So I did some more researching. wiki and mx6.com? its a 2.2 liter sohc FF with 140hp and 190fp/tq, and it really likes mods. 5th injector setups can be made for around $100 in parts from a junkyard. the one i'm looking at already has a bandrel bent 3" exhaust (which supposedly gets the HP up to around 170). Turns out the stock turbos can be combined with the turbo out of a thunderbird turbo coupe to make a hybrid that aparently get these things into the low 14's, high 13's. The car i'm looking at has some performance parts in it already, and a new suspension (kyb struts and eibach lowering springs) only cost $400 for the complete set. I wanna do it, but the car is very plain looking. and i know i'm an idiot for trading a 9 year old car for an 18 year old. err, that sounded dirty. I still have my tib though, and one of these days, i'll change the timing belt, get my rims repaired and put her back on the road, but not today. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:25 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

wow dude thats risky. an 18 year old car is definatly not doing anything close to stock horsepower rating so your already starting out in the hole, also factoring in the cost of fixing it and any mods you put into it youll probably end up where you would have been with mild mods on a beta, and still a whole lot left in the bank. And thats only IF the car survives what you plan on doing to it. $700 junker + junkyard turbo parts = not good. Id be suprised if you got 16's after you did what you plan on.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:34 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

If your going to get an older turbocharged car, get a Supra.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:16 PM

buy it for a beater dood. i have owned quite a few of them. its the same car as the 1st gen probe gt's, just a different body. same frame, motor, drivetrain, suspension.

they can do high 13's with under 400 into them. there very good cars that no one knows about. and there hardcore sleepers. watch out for underbody rust, and trans problems. that totally stock motor and ecu can do low 12's.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Whoa!! Hold up Isaac. If you want to buy a beater, how about my 300zx? It's n/a and has more hp that that turbo charged MX. Brand new 6-2-1 headers and custom cat-back. Needs a few small items, but nothing major. You've seen the car and I wouldn't call it plain by any means. And as JonGTR said you could pick up a used turbo for this thing for a budget turbo car.
I know it's not a swap, but If your interested email me and we can talk or I can go down and see you.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:01 PM

Keith, if I had (any) money, I'd get the Z in a heartbeat. I just thought of this as a cheap experiment. The tib is a new timing belt, a little repainting and 2 new rims away from being back to perfect. I had it aligned a couple weeks ago and its straight (wahoo). i'm just tired of an automatic, and i've never owned anything turbo, so I'm thinking of taking this gamble. I know its a POS, and if I wanted something to keep, I would go after the Z. By the way, we all gotta get together before you move (if that's still happening). My buddy Chris has a turbo accent now, and i'm envious.

monoxide I've done a lil researching and I do like what I'm hearing about them. Hopefully this one is in good shape and i'll be able to have a little fun with it.

Again, everyone, i'm not a complete idiot (though i am a little jaded by boost right now). This is to tie me over till my tib gets back on the road. i've spent the past 3 weeks helping a friend of mine swap a jdm f22b into his accord, and its been a PITA. Once this is over, it's time to score a second job and fix the tib. Till then, i'm struggling. I gotta find a better job.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

That's cool man. Yes the move is still on, but you know how property is around here. Either you're fighting buyers off with a stick or you can't give sh!t away. Plus I still have a ton of stuff to get finished before I put my place on the market.
Yes we definitely need to get together. In a couple of weeks when my work schedules calm down and I come back from vacation. I'll email ya.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:04 PM

hit up probetalk.com, mx6.com, and performanceprobe.com

all are great sites for any info you need.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:33 PM

you still have the tib.. so why not get something that might be a lot of fun to play with? I say go for it.. but do not trust it until you do some work to it and get some miles under your belt in it.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:19 PM

well, after all that... I went to Randolph, MA (1 & 1/2 hours from home) around 9 am to get parts for my crx (i'm fixing to sell), i drive to worcester to look at the car, and on my way there, I call to make sure everything is cool. i get there an hour later, and get his mom on the phone, the guy's over his girlfriend's house (he has no cell). I wait an hour, no call back. so i then drive the 2 hour drive home. stupid kids. he was a no show, and i have no mx-6. maybe its the big guy upstairs looking over for me, or maybe he's laughing at me, who knows.