Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Mazda RX-8 sales on the US market to end in 2011

Old 05-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Mazda RX-8 sales on the US market to end in 2011

Remember that just last month Mazda announced that the RX-8 will no longer be available on theEuropean market due its engine not meeting the latest European emission regulations? The same will also happen on the US market, but over here the reason is purely monetary. There are just not enough sales of the Mazda RX8 to substantiate its production any longer. According to Mazda, the company only sold 128 RX-8s in April of 2010, so they have decided to pull the RX-8from the U.S. market after the 2011 model year.
Don’t worry, this doesn’t mean Mazda will drop their rotary models. A company insider announced a new model is in the works and will be launched in 2013.

The current RX-8 is powered by a compact 13B twin rotor Renesis engine making 232 HP at a screaming 8,200 RPM and 155 lb-ft of torque. This allows the RX-8 to accelerate from 0 to 60 MPH in just 6.4 seconds and reach a top speed of 145 MPH.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/mazd...ture360704.html
Old 05-06-2010, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

it is my opinion that it's no wonder the sales are bad. the RX8 is the ugliest car i've ever seen. it was doomed from the beginning, just like the chrysler crossfire. they should have stuck with developing the RX-7 into an attractive sports car getting people to want the car and learn the maintenance of the rotary. that would have developed a steady client base.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:39 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Yeah I agree. Ugly thing, but its a niche market for this car I think. Also I really disliked the crossfire, but now the low resale price and performance of the SRT6 look like a good buy. Even though the car still is not very good looking and interior is not very nice.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ May 6 2010, 03:25 PM)
it is my opinion that it's no wonder the sales are bad. the RX8 is the ugliest car i've ever seen. it was doomed from the beginning, just like the chrysler crossfire. they should have stuck with developing the RX-7 into an attractive sports car getting people to want the car and learn the maintenance of the rotary. that would have developed a steady client base.

QUOTE (Whiplash @ May 6 2010, 03:39 PM)
Yeah I agree. Ugly thing, but its a niche market for this car I think. Also I really disliked the crossfire, but now the low resale price and performance of the SRT6 look like a good buy. Even though the car still is not very good looking and interior is not very nice.

No love for the RX8? Its not that bad, I like it because no other car looks like it.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

the crossfire has potential, much like the Genesis Coupe has potential. they're both sporty coupes. just a few things off with that design since it's the same designer (he quit Chrysler when Hyundai hired him). i mean they could have added trunk struts for krissake!! and that front bumper :X haha!

No love for the RX8? Its not that bad, I like it because no other car looks like it.

it looks like a weird hammerhead shark. it's still a shark, but it's a weird one.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I like the RX8's. Theres 2 of them here locally that are boosted. NASTY as hell. And you cant beat the handling those things have. 50/50 weight distribution. They usually kick some serious ass at local auto-x events. smile.gif