Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

LA Preview: Porsche reveals new lightweight Boxster Spyder

Old 11-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default LA Preview: Porsche reveals new lightweight Boxster Spyder

Porsche Boxster Spyder - Click above for high-res image gallery

We're less than a month away from the LA Auto Show, which means that automakers are starting to dribble out some of what we'll be seeing there. The gang from Zuffenhausen will be rolling out a new lightweight edition of the Boxster dubbed "Spyder" especially for those who live where the sun shines and the roads twist. Like the classic 550 Spyders of the Fifties, the top mechanism in this new Boxster is merely a formality – rather than providing fully enclosed driving is more of a sun-shade than anything else.

Overall, Porsche's engineers have pared off about 176 pounds from the Spyder, bringing it down to 2,811 pounds. Propulsion comes via a direct-injected 3.4-liter boxer six with a 10 horsepower boost over the Boxster S for a total of 320. With the automaker's seven-speed PDK dual clutch gearbox, the Spyder gets to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds and manages a combined 25.3 mpg (US) on the EU drive cycle.

In Porsche's time-honored "less is more" (money) world, the Boxster Spyder goes on sale in February 2010 with a base price $61,200. We're quite sure your local Porsche dealer will happily offer to put back some additional weight in your car in the form of options, but, hey – at least your wallet's heft will be pared back significantly to help offset the difference. For the rest of you dreamers, be sure to check out our high-res gallery below along with the some videos and the press release after the jump.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

bleh.

at least they're still using the tiburon-esque cues--or rather we're using theirs.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Sonata LX

so i tried to race an 09' carrera4s today. well, i raced, he didn't see me and listened to smooth jazz. long story short, when i hit 40 mph and glanced behind me, he realized the light had turned, turned up the radio, let off the clutch and blew past me so fast it made my steering wheel shake.

moral of the story: i want turbo. lots of turbo. sex of turbo.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:03 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

I like it. Looks like a smaller convertible RS.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent 1.6T

LOL its still a Boxter...granted its faster, more expensive, and better all around performance than most of our Hyundai's but ...its still just a bottom grade Porsche

I have a quick fun race story with one too...I managed to get in front of him. In a non threatening way too i might add. He proceeded to try to get around me but couldn't cause of other cars. So I guess he got frustrated and we both were making a right turn onto a main street. I was first and 3 sec later he ripped around the turn straight into the lane next to mine on the far left. I was in second at that point and up into about 3,400 rpm range. I slowly let the boost climb and right when he got to my rear wheel I punched it. he then punched it and I had him (key word HAD)gained about 2 car lengths on him until 4th gear when he started to pull up and my front bumper was at his rear wheels just as we shifted to 5th and it was over...he kept going and gained 2-3 car lengths on me every 1k rpm ...so I stoped and made my left onto the next street toward my house. SO it wasnt too bad but the idea I kept up for that long and that Im just a Hyundai I bet he was getting more frustrated with it LOL...
Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

People like that seem to buy those cars simply because they are a porsche. They tend not to look at the cars stats. I would still buy one though...
Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

weird people buy boxsters in d.c. old fresh post-midlife crisis bearded men that barely fit in them primarily.

i park my tiburon next to a yellow one. always wondered whose it was. one day i was walking back to my car, just waxed it too, and the boxster almost runs me over! see the art history professor hopping out. HAHA. i could never own one. they're wayyyyy too small. i'd rather have a used viper just as "roomy".