Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

I'm Nuts

Old 07-13-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so, while trying to locate a transmission at a reasonable price, I started with some basic jobs.. mostly detailing the engine and opening up the intake some.

went from this:

to this. Used Rustoleum "hammered" paint in graphite on the valve cover and uppipe from the intercooler. I used the same type of paint, but in black on all the black plastic under the hood and some silver on the strut bar.

Along the way I also opened up the airbox. I removed the 2 inch diameter "funnel" and built and installed a 3" diameter snorkle that draws cool air from behind the foglight (like I had on my tib)

And then, the real craziness started. I tried knocking out the small dent on the hood and discovered I could not get a good match on the paint. You can guess what happened next:

Yes, I have knocked out all the dents, dings, and rust spots from the City car that came from Washington DC. the one on the passengerside rear was the worst. I am painting the car this weekend (if all goes well) in white. I never cared for black, just too hard to keep clean and respectable. I had a black car once.. all I ever did was clean it, and then half an hour later it was filthy again.

Going to be painting with Rustoleum. If you dilute it with 10% acetone, you can spray it and get good results. it is also cheap and if I ever need to spray a part or a replacement piece, paint is only a trip to lowes away.

While I am there.. I added hood vents.

Off of the Vauxhall Astra Mk1, these might be the only vents of their kind here in the US. After cutting the holes in the hood, I flanged them in and then cleaned up the flanges to make it look more stock.

next trick, removing the antenna and paint.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Wow that thing is really coming along. Turbo cars have a way of making you mod them. Painting the car white is a good idea, black is a PITA.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ummmm. Wow. Cant wait to see new pics man!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:32 PM

the engine compartment looka about 100 times better after you re painted it and cant wait to see what the exterior will look like when its done

nice car to fing02.gif
Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

did you think about trying that paint shop setup from duplicolor? I've been wanting to test it out but haven't had an opportunity.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:13 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

whaaaaa i love your updates! they're always so unexpectable. engine bay looks new. glad things are going well. i still would have liked to see what you would have done to a tiburon, but those days are in the past and this is looking great.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:12 PM

got some priliminary painting done. the insides of the doors and hatch and the front and rear bumpers.

the bumpers were a PITA. The car spent most of it's time in DC before I bought it, so you can imagine how many people have bumped the car over the years. The front was bad in the corners, but only required some work with a sander to get it smooth again.

The rear was a different story. Somebody definatly parked using the "brail" method of backing until you hit something. the entire back of the bumper is covered in small 1 centremetre round pockmarks. Two of these have actually deeply gouged the plastic before finally puncturing it. Somebody really needs to learn how to drive and park.

She's going to look so good in white. it seems to be a rare colour on Saabs (black seems the most common) so she should really stand out if I ever go to a Saab meet (yes they have them). the bumpers that are on there are only temporary, but i still wanted them to look good. I am hoping to find a set from the Viggen sometime soon.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

just outta curiousity.. how do you dilute a rattle can with something??
Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Sounds like he is going to use a spray gun.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:28 PM

yes I am going to use a spray gun. You can dilute Rustoleum in a can with 10% acetone and spray it. The paint comes out the right consistancy to spray and easily cover a car. Some people even roller their car and then sand the shit out of it to get it smooth again.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paint-Your...With-Rustoleum/

I also picked up these for the saab. 17x8 BBS RK IIs. They were an option on the 9-5 and bolt right onto the 900/9-3