Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Help! 240sx Problem

Old 04-23-2005, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

I hope you guys can help my bro here..
he has a 95 240sx Auto

This is what he posted on his forum but no response. I know you guys can help laugh.gif

"i was driving on the freeway and i was going about 70mph. my speedometer starts to drop and my gas pedal does not work. therefore i had to pull over. i continue to drive n at a certain speed or rpm the car starts jerking n my car kinda stalls. similiar problem on street as well as freeway. i had to pull over as the speedometer once again drops. when i am completely pulled over, my interior gets dim and three of my sensor lights turn on(brake, oil and battery). my steering wheel is into a lock position. i changed my fuel filter and resetted my ecu thinking it was the problem but after replacing it, still the same problem. if you know wutz wrong please post useful info. thx everyone."
Old 04-23-2005, 11:36 PM

Sounds like a power problem. Many cars, including our tibs, use electronic speedos. Without power, the needle drops like a rock towards 0 mph. Without power the electronic ignition will not work, and of course many of the sensors will be confused by the low voltage.

It could be a failed battery, a grounded cable from the battery, a dead alternator, or even something as simple as a bad ground someplace.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:55 PM

I was thinking that it could be plug wires, or distributor. You think thats possible?
Its kinda weird. like the car sorta pulsates. like it just drops big time and goes back up then down like your tapping the gas pedal.
i'll probally go check out his battery and change it with mines tomorrow or sumthing.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:23 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I think it's possible to drive car without battery. I did couple of times battery swap with working engine (on another car) - start on one battery, rev up to 2,000 RPM change battery.

^^^ Sounds like power problem. Check ground connection, clean terminals, check battery and alternator.

BTW. if your car is not staring without pressing the clutch peddal. When you drive (and not pressing clutch) you turn key to START position Speedo needle will drop and some stuff like fan, clock, audio, lights will not work. But engine will work ok.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:13 PM

ive checked the battery, alternator, and grounds seem fine. wat else can it be?
Old 04-24-2005, 05:09 PM

BTW. if your car is not staring without pressing the clutch peddal. When you drive (and not pressing clutch) you turn key to START position Speedo needle will drop and some stuff like fan, clock, audio, lights will not work. But engine will work ok.

He said it's an auto...it doesn't have a clutch.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:39 PM

Things done....

- Spark plugs....
- Spark plug Wires
- oilchange
- oil filter
- fuel filter
- alternator ( no problem)
- Battery ( no problem)
What else can there be?
Old 04-24-2005, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

ok one trick i have learned while workin at nissan is check the ground wire to your MAF it was made out of crappy wire your best bet would be to rewire it
Old 04-24-2005, 11:43 PM

how would i rewire it? Im pretty sure i dont use any kind of wire rite?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:47 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

you would use some good gas and grease protected wire in about the same guage and just attach it to the ground for the maf