Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

GM to halt Camaro/Firebird production

Old 09-26-2001, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Default GM to halt Camaro/Firebird production

GM to halt Camaro/Firebird production

Ste. Thérèse, Quebec plant will close in September 2002

General Motors announced today that it would cease production of the Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird "pony" cars after MY2002 and close the Ste. Thérèse, Quebec plant in September of 2002. According to General Motors of Canada Limited president and general manager, Maureen Kempston Darkes, the "extremely painful and difficult decision" was made after GM determined that a sagging sports car segment and increased competition had created an excess capacity at the plant and there were no viable alternative uses for the facility.
Old 08-04-2002, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its about that time...

Sad day for muscle car lovers everywhere
Old 08-04-2002, 05:26 AM

before i totaled my chevy beretta and joined this msg board i followed GM msg boards and GM news closely, apparently chevy will most likely bring back the camaro, Bob Lutz wouldn't let the camaro die
the firebird will not come back, but pontiac has already begun to replace it with the re-release of the Pontiac GTO which is an Holden from overseas, brought over as a GTO with modifications
Old 08-04-2002, 05:54 AM

I wonder if the value of my two, 2001 SS Camaros will go up any? I would have jumped on the 02 anniversary edition but I thought the racing stripes we kinda fugly.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:48 AM

dam
wow never thought the day would come
the last of the muscle cars are being taken out slowly
Old 08-04-2002, 07:03 AM

It's not the end of the road for the muscle car. The Camaro was yanked for lagging sales, which you could blame on chevy. When was the last time you saw a commercial for the Camaro? Another factor that played in to the removal of the Camaro is the fact that Chevy is releasing the SS-R. A sport utility truck with massive amounts of power. There have also been rumors that Chevy will produce a less expensive Corvette which would fill the gap between the Camaro and Corvette. Chevy has not yet said if the removal of the Camaro is permanent or not. I have heard that GM will be going back to the drawing board with it to see what they can do to make it sell better. Also, for you Ford lovers out there, Ford has finally removed their head from the hind quarters and produced a Mustang that has some serious power. The 03 Cobra has 390 supercharged horsepower which is good news for the power freak. I have always wondered why Ford has never produced a car that can compete with the newer LT1 and LS1 F bodies. Back in the day of the IROC-Z and Rally Sport the Mustang 5.0 was king. Anyway, I believe the muscle car is not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 08-04-2002, 10:48 AM

Um, hello and welcome to three years ago??

GM has been saying they will be sticking a fork in the Camaro and Firechicken for 3 or 4 years now. The 98 facelift was a latch ditch effort to keep them alive.

And about Ford and the Cobra .... Did ya happen to notice they had to use a F/I system to get those kind of numbers? Chevrolet and Jon Moss have been throwing out 395-510 HP N/A motors for years using good ole' shadetree know-how. They even have a few that are running north of the 600HP mark. Its a shame that Chevy doesn't have the balls to put these powerplants on the road in something other than a show car.

I do give John Coletti and Ford/SVT credit for trying ... but they still missed again. They get high points for putting the car on the road though. When they can put those kind of numbers out, leaving the F/I in the parts bin, then I will be impressed.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:31 PM

Digital:
Um, hello and welcome to three years ago??

GM has been saying they will be sticking a fork in the Camaro and Firechicken for 3 or 4 years now. The 98 facelift was a latch ditch effort to keep them alive.

And about Ford and the Cobra .... Did ya happen to notice they had to use a F/I system to get those kind of numbers? Chevrolet and Jon Moss have been throwing out 395-510 HP N/A motors for years using good ole' shadetree know-how. They even have a few that are running north of the 600HP mark. Its a shame that Chevy doesn't have the balls to put these powerplants on the road in something other than a show car.

I do give John Coletti and Ford/SVT credit for trying ... but they still missed again. They get high points for putting the car on the road though. When they can put those kind of numbers out, leaving the F/I in the parts bin, then I will be impressed.
Look how old the original post is, I just revived it because its almost about that time
Old 08-04-2002, 02:05 PM

Haha .... didn't see that. Kinda looked like the news suddenly hit someone and thought they urgently needed to post it for us.

So its almost a year old ...
Old 08-04-2002, 02:34 PM

Chevy will stop building it and bring it back as an econmy car.

Hahahahahaha

Chevy Nova, Chevy Malibu, Pontiac LeMans.....