Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Genesis Coupe, Cover Of Motortrend

Old 04-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Motor Trend Magazine had the Coupe on the front cover, with 11+ pages of pictures, article coverage, and comparisons.

I haven't even read the article, from what I hear it isn't the best article, but I was excited at the front cover publicity.

Go buy a copy. I scanned in most of the article, but left out the full page (two page) photo shots. Here's a teaser.

[attachment=875:scan_cover.jpg]
Attachment 619
[attachment=877:scan_2.jpg]
[attachment=878:scan_3.jpg]
Attachment 620
Attachment 621
Attachment 622
Attachment 623
Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

I bought that last week. They said the auto was quicker and lighter than the 6 speed but still wasn't as fast as the 2010 mustang or 370Z. But it is cheaper...
Old 04-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Administrator

and here's Hyundai on Nightline: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=31068&hl= courtesy of HKC's finding
Old 04-19-2009, 10:23 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

many thanks! those are some great pictures they made. 11 pages of pictures?!!! youch!!! way to go. This kind of stuff boosts sales significantly among undecided people. It will also attract serious buyers as well. You can't really get a better deal.

The 87 octane on the RS is great. My best friend borrows his brother's G35 Coupe and I get to ride in it sometimes. He always complains about having to put 93 in. To the point where I feel the need to help him pay for it 02.gif Do you know if the Turbo allows 87 octane as well?

I think it's a solid article though. I didn't expect this from biased MotorTrend, who mostly focus on American made cars.

HAHA, they also mention Ford's unwillingness to have their Mustang compared to the Genesis Coupe:

From MotorTrend's own editorial:

“You won’t find a back-to-back comparison between Hyundai’s new Genesis Coupe and the 2010 Mustang in this (May 2009) issue. The folks at Hyundai were all for it: ‘Bring it on!’ they said, …whatever we needed. But when we called Ford to ask for a Mustang GT, telling the Dearborn PR folks that we wanted to test it against (the Genesis Coupe), their response was: ‘Uh… We’ll get back to you.’â€Â

Running from a fight seems precisely the wrong message to send at a time when America’s automakers are asking American taxpayers to believe they build globally competitive cars and trucks.

There was something else that bothered me. …Ford promised – promised – a Mustang GT would be made available for a comparison test against the new Camaro (which was made). Wait. So it’s okay to pit the Mustang against an American car, but not a ‘Korean upstart’?

It’s the old adage, we fear far more the enemy we do not know than the one we do. Fear is not going to make Ford great again."

Angus MacKenzie, Motor Trend Magazine
Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The articles were okay, and they said nice things about the Coupe, a LOT of nice things, especially about the price. From what I read, they didn't have the ECU reflash on the v6 though.

My problem with it is they keep judging it against a car that it wasn't designed to come close to. Hyundai has said time and time again that the Mustang wasn't a target for the coupe at all, but everyone keeps comparing them.

It's kinda funny though that Ford is that scared about a car that wasn't aimed at it anyways.

The Mustang wins out in this magazine, as a power monster of a car.

I'd also like to note that the comparisons against the 370Z aren't fair either, as it's the same issue.

Targets for the Genesis Coupe were...

RX8
BMW 335I
G37
Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator

^ ^ on a similar note, I couldn't figure out why they'd match a 3.8L V6 with a 4.6L V8? The Mustang SHOULD win in that matchup, but IMO it should have been a bigger gap than it is.

and comparing with the Z, which is a two-seater and built as such. it might be quicker, but like REDz said, that wasn't Hyundai's target. I've sat in a Z several times (everytime I take my car to the dealership for updates and maintenance). It's just too cramped for me, and my wife who has a much smaller frame said the same thing.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

According to Nate and some other folks, it's a fair comparison.

I don't think so, but whatever. It's a kick ass car none the less, and it's getting noticed to say the LEAST.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:48 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I agree at it not being a fair comparison at all. They kinda hinted that in the article that it didnt have a chance with that much less displacement.

The turbo and V6 are able to run on 87 if I remember right, running higher octane boosts HP output though. It was an alright read even though it came in last for them.