Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Gas only CR-Z Turbo on the way?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win
Default Gas only CR-Z Turbo on the way?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-re...only-cr-z.html

Honda’s all-new CR-Z hybrid is intended to blend performance with fuel economy, but a future version of the hatchback may put a greater emphasis on all-out performance.

According to the UK’s Autocar, Honda is readying a gas-only version of the CR-Z. The CR-Z currently comes fitted with a 112 horsepower 1.5L four-cylinder mated to Honda’s integrated hybrid system.

The gas-only version of the CR-Z will reportedly come with a turbocharged 1.6L four-cylinder engine. Two versions of the mill are said to be in the works – a base model with 160 horsepower and an up-level 200 horsepower variant. The latter will likely be branded as the CR-Z Type R, although the Si nameplate could be used for the U.S. version.

Honda has yet to confirm if such a plan is in place, but the Japanese automaker did display a factory-backed turbocharged version of the current CR-Z at the 2010 SEMA Show in Las Vegas. If the latest reports are to be believed, the gas-only version of the CR-Z should be unveiled by the end of next year.

I'm usually not a big fan of Hondas but I really like the body of the CRZ, and without the massively heavy hybrid garbage I bet it's pretty light. Well I, like many, have been b*tching they need to make Gas-turbo variant anyway. Looks like they are planning the Type-R nameplate for it too, which means we can probably expect some additional weight reduction and suspension upgrades. Just speculation, but based on history it looks to be a high possibility. I might actually BUY a Honda, whoda thinket?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

They needed to do something to compete against the Veloster. Assuming that Hyundai fixes the rear styling enough that anyone would even consider buying one.