Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Fiat 500 vs Mini Cooper vs Smart Car

Old 11-21-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 tiburon fx
Default Fiat 500 vs Mini Cooper vs Smart Car

What are HA's thoughts on these 3 vehicles? My mom is going to buy a new car and she wants something really small and fuel efficient. She doesnt care about performance and only needs front seats (doesnt care if theres no back seat). I'm trying to get her to go with the Mini but shes afraid maintenance will be higher on it because its made by BMW. She doesnt know about the Fiat since its a new car and she thinks the Smart car may be TOO small. But she is keeping an open mind on all 3.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

smart car is a piece of sh*t.. in every way imagineable... in my opinion... pricey.. not the greatest gas mileage.. super small..

Fiat seems like a good choice imo since its like a 'better' smart car.

Mini seems to be a hands down best choice as long as $$$ isnt a concern.

Another great option that i would have her consider is the ford fiesta or ford focus...
Old 11-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

HYUNDAI ACCENT!!!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Veloster>>Mini>Fiat>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Smart

That's considering price, practicality, cool factor, dynamics, and safety.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Tell her to get a motorcyle or a trike, as long as she's looking into a tiny death trap on wheels. They can be fitted with two seats and luggage carriers enough for a daily trip to the grocery

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/can-am.html

http://motorcycleviews.com/pictures/pic0114.jpg
Old 11-22-2011, 03:01 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i like the looks of the old and new Cooper. i'm tall and sat in the Cooper at an auto show and it feels really good. the problem is the price of the thing. not worth it at all.

the Fiat 500 is a neat little remake, but also not worth the price. back in my day we had the Fiat Cinquecento for $7,000 brand new:

and now we have the Fiat 500 which is smaller for 3X that? bull f___'_g s___t.

Hyundai Veloster, Accent > all.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:10 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Why is everybody wet in the pants over the mini? Yes, it has the same cool factor as its contemporaries. Other than that, its just another faceless rehash that doesn't do anything especially well. As others have said, what is the point in trying to pinch pennies at the gas station if the MSRP is tens of thousands of dollars?

None of those manufacturers have especially good reliability records either, but I'd probably go for the fiat. At least they have the twinair engines and will hold their resale.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
Why is everybody wet in the pants over the mini? Yes, it has the same cool factor as its contemporaries. Other than that, its just another faceless rehash that doesn't do anything especially well. As others have said, what is the point in trying to pinch pennies at the gas station if the MSRP is tens of thousands of dollars?

None of those manufacturers have especially good reliability records either, but I'd probably go for the fiat. At least they have the twinair engines and will hold their resale.

Because a difference of 10mpg over the life of a car is about $6,000.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
Why is everybody wet in the pants over the mini?...its just another faceless rehash that doesn't do anything especially well.
I does autocross very well.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I don't think the Mini is a faceless rehash. It was re-designed by the original creator John Cooper before his death. "John, along with his son Mike Cooper, served in an advisory role to BMW and Rover's New MINI design team." In addition, it came turbo and supercharged under his original "John Cooper Works" (JCW) tuning shop which was based in England. I think it's very traditional, and sticks with the original motives.

The Fiat 500 is also very true to the original design. I would say more true than the Mini because it's practically the same shape. Fiats are excellent cars. Always were. Always will be. The design is really almost original. The Fiat 126p is 40 years old and you can still see them cruising around all over Europe in good condition. The rest of them were modern and hold up very well.

The New Beetle is a rehash, an abomination despite its success. Absolute abomination. Moving the engine to the front and making it a weirdo singles chick car to increase sales = not okay. It's called destroying an icon. They should have kept RWD rear-engine layout or renamed the car entirely like Renault did with the 5 and the Clio.

The only thing here is why pay $16-$25,000 USD for a clown car? Especially when there are countless better values out there.