Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Eclipse Question

Old 03-07-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friend has a 2nd gen eclipse and has a modified CAI on it, well the weather has been really crappy down

here raining alot and stuff, well she was driving and hit a huge puddle and her intake (which sits way too low)

sucked up water that it made the car die. Before I talked to her she kept trying to start the car got the car

started and let it sit there for 30 mins or so. She said that smoke was coming out the exhaust and was a little

jumpy, but now it is driving fine no smoke or anything, is the engine ok? Or should she not be driving it?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If its driving then it didnt hydrolock, which is good, but easy compression tests can tell you whether there was internal damage.

In the future let her know not to try and start it, as she could kill her engine if it sucked enough water in, better yet, tell her to get a bypass valve
Old 03-07-2008, 10:55 PM

Shes probably okay. If its turboed, there is a sensor inside of that intake, whether its aftermarket or not. That would have probably been put in the most danger. I dont think this eclipse is tho, the way its being described (intake far down, a turbo intake will run across the passengers side of the motor way, not really down too far.). If it is turbo, water would have had to pass through the turbo and IC piping before reaching the TB, intake then the motor. It just seems unlikely it would have traveled that far, so if its turbo, id say just make sure no check-engine lights are on, and she'll be fine. If a check engine light is on, it probably is that sensor. They are quite expensive. But I have one I'm sure I could get you for cheaper.
If its not turbo, there is a greater risk because there is less in the way between the intake and motor itself. But still, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
Only reason I say its not probably not a huge issue, is because it was just a puddle and rain water that got on there...not like driving a 4wheeler through a river where u really have to be careful. The smoke is probably, just as you said, from the water on the exhaust. Check for cracks if its a SS exhaust, otherwise the stock DSM exhaust system is actually very well protected with multiple heat shield that would block most splashing. Just check it over, but I think it'll be okay for the most part.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:03 PM

no it is not turbo, she said it was a huge puddle like pretty deep took a few tries to start did start, smoked she let it sit and smoke completely then drove it, I was just seeing what the input is thanks all
Old 03-08-2008, 05:16 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I dont' get it, why would the valves bend? wouldn't the piston rods bend? That's where the pressure is. I mean, from my understanding, when you hydrolock, it will turn your air induction system into a water induction system. The valves release water into the engine, then seal back off. Once the piston comes up to compress the water/fuel mixture it cannot do so and halts the engine abruptly. This can damage piston rings, pistons, connecting rods, heads, crankshaft, transmission, or other things along the powertrain. It does not make sence for the valves to bend as the timing stays correct and the valves shouldn't be smacking against anything except water.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:24 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yes you are correct good sir, i was going too fast didnt think about what i was typing. The valves are fully seated during hydrolock and wouldnt be damaged. I'll go back and edit it...
Old 03-08-2008, 09:41 AM

my friend had a 96 integra with a aem CAI on it. he said he drove through a puddle and the next thing he knew there was oil all over the ground...he blew a rod out of the block