Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Eclipse Engine Damper

Old 04-12-2008, 05:46 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I should have taken pictures..

Today I made a GK Tiburon WeaponR engine damper fit on a 01 Eclipse. I had one sitting around from when RED ZMAN was R&Ding for our RDs. It mounted from the strut tower to the motor lift (used for lifting the engine out of the bay). Here's what's involved.

Modification to the strut bracket-
Cut a large area of the strut tower bracket to make room for the larger hole in the center of the Eclipse's Strut

Modification to the engine lift
Bent bracket and drilled larger hole into the engine lift bracket to mount the engine damper.

Modification to the damper
Chopped off about 1" of the spacer inside of the damper and placed the remainder on the other side, effectively removing 3" from the damper. This was to make room for the shorter distance between the tower and the motor lift.

All in all, it holds up ok, and we really gave it to the engine. The stock engine lift bracket is a bit thin though and you can see it move somewhat, so when we get a chance we'll be making a better bracket for the engine lift.

Weapon R engine dampers are basically a couple of pieces of rubber inside a tube, with a spacer taking up slack inside the tube. You can change the length of the rod by cutting and moving the spacer around. They're made quite simply. It's just a couple of pieces of 1"urithane with a piece of metal between them that causes the damper to be flexable.

4 Cyl Eclipses do not currently have a engine damper available to them. I figured this might help someone out when they're searching the net.