Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Dodge now selling Hellcat crate engines

Old 11-02-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tibby
Default Dodge now selling Hellcat crate engines

For the low low price of just 21,725

http://www.motortrend.com/news/dodge...-crate-engine/

Earlier this month, we wrapped up our year-long test of the Dodge Charger Hellcat, and we have to say, it was absolutely fantastic. No matter how hard we drove it or how many sets of tires we burned through, the Hemi-powered beast proved remarkably reliable. And loud. And fast. And really, really good at doing burnouts. Now, you can get the exact same tire-roasting experience in any car you want since Dodge has decided to start offering a crate version.

At SEMA today, Dodge announced plans to officially begin selling Hellcat engines. Alongside the supercharged 6.2-liter V-8, Dodge says it will also sell a Hellcat engine kit it calls the Hellcrate. This kit is designed for older cars built before 1976, allowing you to more easily add Hellcat power to your classic vehicle.

The Hellcrate includes a powertrain control module, power distribution center, engine wiring harness, chassis harness, accelerator pedal, ground jumper, oxygen sensors, charge air temperature sensors, and fuel pump control module. The PCM comes with factory settings, giving the engine 707 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque, but since it’s unlocked, tuners will be able to change that if they want. You can also order a Front End Accessory Drive kit that includes an alternator, power steering pump, belts, pulleys, and a few other things to make your engine swap go more smoothly.

The big question, though, is how much this will all cost. And, uh, it’s not cheap. The Hellcat engine will cost a whopping $19,530, and the kit will run you another $2,195. Thankfully, Dodge at least offers a three-year, unlimited-mileage warranty if you buy the two together. So if your build blows up after a few months, replacing it won’t cost you another $21,725.

I dont know why anyone would want this when you could get an LS engine for a quarter of the price, spend a few grand and make it faster than the Hellcat engine. I dont see this being a good option for people who want to do swaps.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by Macdaddy
I dont know why anyone would want this when you could get an LS engine for a quarter of the price, spend a few grand and make it faster than the Hellcat engine. I dont see this being a good option for people who want to do swaps.

http://www.turnkeyenginesupply.com/t...sembly-street/

the appeal of a warrantied, turn key, 700+hp motor is there.

i just dont have that kind of money.

youll spend more than a "few grand" to make a 700hp ls motor that's OEM reliable.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

That's actually not an absolutely terrible price IMO. It's a lot, but you're getting a lot and it's gonna be a *really* good engine too. They probably won't sell very many but I'm glad they're on offer.