Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Dodge Demon stats

Old 04-12-2017, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Dodge Demon stats

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/11/15...auto-show-2017

The Dodge Demon is both the world’s fastest production car, and a gauntlet thrown down by Dodge, allowing the company to declare itself as the home of the “Muscle Brotherhood.” It’s a new tagline inspired by the Fast and the Furious franchise and Dodge’s new pitchman, Vin Diesel — the actor was on stage tonight at a noisy, tire smoke-filled press event to launch the Demon ahead of the start of the New York Auto Show tomorrow.

To hear Dodge’s Tim Kuniskis describe it, the Demon is meant to show that Dodge isn’t like other car companies. I’ve long said that the 707-horsepower Hellcat, launched by Dodge a few years ago, would have gotten killed off at most automakers — who needs a car with more than 700 horsepower? That’s crazy. No one should have bought it. But they kept it alive, brought it to market, and buyers flocked to Dodge showrooms. And now, they’ve done it again.

Look up “more” in the dictionary and you’ll find a picture of the new Demon. It has the most powerful V8 ever fit to a production car, making 840 horsepower and 770 pound-feet of torque. Dodge says it has the hardest launch of any production car, pulling 1.8g off the line. Thanks to some trick suspension that shifts half a ton of weight to the back wheels for the launch, the Demon even lifts the front wheels off the ground for a Guinness-certified 2.92 feet at takeoff — another first for a production car.

You can buy the Demon without a passenger or rear seat — to save weight, and drop that quarter-mile time a little further. It also comes with barely-legal, ultra-sticky 315/40R18 drag radials. Dodge calls it the world’s only “purpose-built street legal production drag car” and “a lady in the streets, but a freak in the sheets.” Really. (It’s a reference to the drag racing log sheets that drivers use to keep track of their race times.)

It runs the zero to 60 mph in 2.3 seconds, and then on to 100 mph in a total of 5.1 seconds. Both are tops for a production car, says Dodge. And with a nod to a famous line from the first Fast and the Furious film, the Demon does the quarter mile in 9.65 seconds — here’s your ten-second car, Dom.

Perhaps the most incredible thing about the Demon is that it includes a three-year/36,000 mile limited warranty, with five-year/60,000 mile limited powertrain coverage. Unlike the Hellcat, the Demon is production limited, with 3,000 destined for the US and another 300 for Canada. They’ll begin hitting dealers this fall.

Pricing was not disclosed.

840 hp with an NHRA certified 9.65 1/4 mile, 100% bone stock off the showroom floor.

Here's the thing....it's banned from the tracks because in order to run that time, you need a full cage, firesuit and all the top dragster safety protocols, just slightly beating the fact that it needs a parachute. So this car is basically bragging rights for old men that will go through a mid-life crisis and want something other than a corvette or camaro ZL1. Yes, the thing is a boat and comes in at 4,000 pounds but I dont really think anyone cares because of the power and track times. Sure, you could make it lighter which makes it faster but most people will just drive it as is.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

It's banned the same way any other car would running that time. That's why you don't see too many exotics running at the track. They run fast enough that they are required to have a cage and gear. But, would you tear up that exotic interior to install one?

I'm not sure how well this will sell. I don't see too many Dodge enthusiast having enough money to afford this.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

STARTS at 85k.

that's over 30k in mark up for a supercharger, a trans break, some drag radials, and removal of a bunch of interior parts.

it's super impressive dont get me wrong. i love the a/c cooling the charge down but still.

you can get a srt 392 for 50. get a kenne bell 2.8L charger for 7k.

get a new pulley and 10k worth of engine upgrades/tuning and run the same kinda numbers for 20k less than this damn thing costs.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I read the estimated price tag is more around $130K