Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

DeLorean Going Back Into Production

Old 01-27-2016, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default DeLorean Going Back Into Production

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-break-n505271

Back to the Future: DeLorean Going Back Into Production After 34-Year Break

It's back to the future — and back into production — for the DeLorean.

The sleek sports car, immortalized in the "Back to the Future" movies, is going to start rolling off the assembly line next year after a 34-year break, the DeLorean Motor Company announced Wednesday.

And unlike its previous incarnations, the new DeLorean DMC-12 models will be made in America. Humble, Texas, to be exact.

"It's fantastic," DeLoreon chief Stephen Wynne told NBC News. "It is a game-changer for us, you know. We've been wanting this to happen."

Under a low volume manufacturing bill green-lighted by the feds, DeLorean will only be allowed to build 300 more of the iconic cars that Dr. Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd) turned into a time machine in the movies. And each car will set buyers back at least $100,000, depending on the engine.

Wynne said they will update the engines but have no plans to change to look of the futuristic ride (brushed stainless steel skin!) or replace the gull-wing doors.

Only 9,200 or so DeLoreans were made between January 1981 and December 1982 at the factory in Belfast, Northern Ireland, before the company went bust.

Wynne, a British entrepreneur, set up shop in Texas in 1995 and began selling refurbished DeLoreans for $45,000 to $55,000.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I thought they were already doing this for years. I believe the store is somewhere around Houston and they've had an engine upgrade for a while. I see them quite often around here.

This is one of the cars on my bucket list. The only issue is lack of real estate for my collection.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

There's a company that has been restoring and updating them for a while under license, but they aren't actually DeLorean. There's also a few guys that build BTTF replicas.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I would never in a million years pay 100G's for a Delorean. $40-50....probably, but never 6 figures.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by Visionz
I would never in a million years pay 100G's for a Delorean. $40-50....probably, but never 6 figures.
If it weren't for the movies this car would be worth more today as scrap than the vehicle.

It's an okay car in the looks dept, but it never performed. The best it has is fanboy movie appeal and the stainless steel exterior.