Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Can someone explain something to me? Elantra vs. Honda CR-Z

Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon
Default Can someone explain something to me? Elantra vs. Honda CR-Z

First off, why in the HELL would anyone want this:

instead of this:

EVER.. some might argue... The CR-Z... its a hybrid yO.. Im going to be saving the planet without having to go around hugging trees.. Who cares if my vehicle looks retarded, I'm getting mad Mpgs...... So today, Tibbyturbo was talking about how he saw the CR-Z at the auto show and I decided I would look them up out of curiosity..

starting at 19,500$ WHATTT?!!?!? that stupid little thing starts at almost 20k? .... 31 city/37 hwy/34 combined mpg for 6MT models. A manual transmission in a brand new hybrid hopping around the city at 31mpg? honestly.... all that work developing hybrid setups and it gets that mileage?

Lets go to the elantra.. Granted Hyundais starting prices are a bit lower without the air conditioning, lets add it..

around 16,500$.. yeah the CR-Z comes with a lot more options and fluff, but if you were buying a car, just for its economy, why wouldn't you save yourself 3000$, get a nicer looking, 4-door car with almost identical mileage in the manual transmission trim.. (city / highway / combined) 29 / 40 / 33

A more fair, technical comparison between the two at least might be the Limited model of the elantra which throws them around the same price, but your still getting around the same fuel economy and BETTER on the highway for a FULL gasoline vehicle vs. the 'super hybrid'...

and for those of you knowing the background of the CR-X and how light it was, think again on this 'update' this thing is.. 2700lbs.

hell, for the price of one of those CR-Zs with some options, you could get yourself into a Sonata Hybrid that has better mileage than both the civic and the elantra..
Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Or go with the Veloster and get better fuel economy without being a hybrid.

I think it'll be awesome if the turbo Veloster still beats the CR-Z in the mileage department.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

If they tune it correctly, it could totally beat the CRZ. CRZ is a total waste of money and effort. Why they would even bring something like that to market is beyond me. The old CRX's WHOOPS its ass in terms of mileage. Some of the older CRX's were getting over 50 mpg! I know, I am on the hunt for one as a commuter.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

My friend gets 64mpg highway in his CRX HF.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Good god! checking craigslist right now!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I got 43 in a CRX with a 1.6 (the bigger) engine and I/H/E, in mixed driving. I like them, aside from the whole "roling death trap" thing.

Both the above cars look very similar, so it comes down to features and price. Add to the cost of the hybrid, what batteries cost when you need to replace them. Every few years.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

This is the car I was talking about that I saw on the Auto Show. I know everyone has different taste but I really like the looks of this CRZ, I'm not talking about performance I know this is a Turbo Charged CRZ but I'm not really sure whats the specs on it I just like how it looks.

Edited: forgot the photo here it is