Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Camaro Go Boom?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Local guy went boom on the track....

Now the explanation:
So I guess i'm going to make this my project thread for the new motor, but first i'll update on what happened to the old motor.

About a month ago, it locked up at about 330ft at the hill, and I just got it apart tonight/yesterday. I'm kinda glad because I've really been wanting to see what cam was in it, since I bought it with the cam already installed. Anyways it looks like no. 5 dropped a valve and took out a piston, look at the pics; i'm talking there is no piston in no. 5. Theres an in-tact rod with the wrist pin still in it, and the wrist pin went through the sleeve and through the block, pretty much destroying it. I'm guessing also that what was left of no. 5 fell down and took out no. 4 rod somehow, because its broke in half. Also I cant find whats left of the valve, i'm guessing thats whats melted and beat into the chamber on the head. The crank is junk, along with some other things, but somehow the cam is perfect. I had to call comp, because the cam had about a million different numbers ground into the end of it, which meant it was custom grind. I had to do everything but the secret handshake to get the specs, which are 224/230 .581/.579 112+4. Although I blew it up, it was hauling serious A$$ to go 11.60s in a full weight car with a cage, with stock heads and everything. I'm putting the 6.0 out of my TA into the race car and I have a block at the Machine shop to build for the TA, with the Camaro's combo back in it, save for a new set of forged flat tops. I have a set of 806 LS1 heads that I can use if the 241s cant be fixed(its pretty bad).

fyi - 'the hill' is a local 1/8 mile track
Old 06-27-2008, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Wow, that's crazy!! Must have been a huge boom!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Weh that sucks, shoulda bought an import smile.gif
Old 06-28-2008, 01:18 PM

he was running 11.6 at the 1/8 of a mile?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:23 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Pony

224/230 .581/.579 112+4.

What happened was the cam's lift is too high for the stock spring, which then snapped and cleared the keepers - valve slid down the guide, intake suction pulling it in, and well, the rest is evident. Im surprised the pushrod didn't fall out of it's grove and get chewed up by the cam - or punched up through the IM (If in fact it's an edelbrock or similar aluminum peice). I'm willing to bet the rocker stayed put, saving the lifter and pushrod the joy of getting destroyed by first the cam, then the engine's crank.

I'd advise some harder valve springs, able to withstand greater than .5 inch lift... good amount of duration there too!

I'll bet he was able to drive that home, if it wasn't too far - I wouldn't chance the cam though!
Old 06-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

"The Hill" is an 1/8 mile track, that's where it blew up "at about 330 ft."

The 11.60 times were on a 1/4 mile track, at Beech Bend, KY.

http://www.musiccityraceway.com - A.K.A. "The Hill"
"Initially known as Union Hill Raceway or "The Hill" for the first 25 years, Music City Raceway is now in its 50th year of operation and is the longest running drag racing facility in NHRA Division 2."