Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Bmw 3 Series E36 (1992-1998)

Old 09-28-2005, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im thinking about this for my next xar since i smashed the tib.
Anyways, im just wanting you guys opinions on this car. Ever been in one?
I want to get the 2dr 318is 4cyl, mainly because of the price and the petrol costs these days. I would settle for the 4dr, coz its cheaper, but im aimin for the coupe.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:34 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

I've driven a 2001 540i, a 2002 330i & a 1999 Z3... Have never driven a 318is though. Bimmers are good cars. Nice engines (dunno about the fours), interiors, build quality... They're nice. I'd be happy with a four door 3 Series if there were no good coupes available fing02.gif

They might be expensive to modify though. Bodykits & after-market parts may not be so cheap here in Australia. You might want to check the average service costs (check "wear & tear" parts prices) & insurance costs.

If I were you, I'd also maybe lurk on some Bimmer forums for a while, just in case there are issues with them (quality niggles, recalls & whatnot) that owners know about & talk about. Quite often this information is only learnt when it's already too late.

With a nice set of chrome rims & a big drop, you could pimp it out quite easily cool.gif

Being such a young BMW driver, you'd be a "Yuppy" though... But girls'll love you, so it's all good wink1.gif fing02.gif
Old 09-28-2005, 07:03 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

I've never driven one but a co-worker used to own a four-door 318i and he described it as a tank. Mainly because it is quite heavy and underpowered with that engine.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:43 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

ugh....3series. =no-no
Old 09-28-2005, 08:56 AM

Nothing wrong with a 3er. The e36 is still old enough not to have all the electronic gizmos that plague more modern Bimmers.

Personally, I find that the 3er is a very well balanced sport sedan/coupe'. Even in four cylinder form it has decent power, great brakes, and smooth, refined, and balanced handling. All that and a real back seat and a trunk too!

the e36 also came in a hatchback version. Refered to here in the States as the 318 Ti. Up to the trailing edges of the doors, it was just like any other e36 coupe'. After the doors it had a shorter "bobbed tail" hatchback body. It also had the trailing arm rear suspension from the earlier e30 (also shared with the Z3)

Even in stock form the e36 is a nice looking car, with the addition of a few select "M" parts it becomes downright dangerous to look at.

Also, be thankful you are looking at a 318 and not a 316. the 1.6 just does not cut it.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:00 AM

That model I don't like too much, the E30 (previous generation) with the 6 cil engine waqs a very fine car to drive, but the 3 series model grew with the E36 and became heavier, those I4 from those years were not very powerful (I think around 120HP?) and the car must be at least 150lb heavier than a Tib.

I don't know, I wouldn't buy one... the next model I do like a lot, it's just the E36 I don't like, it's like it has something missing, and the I4 are not sporty at all, they exist to have a lower price option and for fuel economy (remember in Europe a gallon is around $7) and parts prices even for service tend to be pretty expensive.

As I see it, for bimmers it's like you have the money to get one modern version (not more than 4 years old) and with a peppy engine, so that you get a fancy, powerful and classy car, or you stay away from them.

Unless you can get ahold of one of the famous E30 M3, those four bangers were light (relatively) and a serious machine!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:38 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I'm just sayin, if yer goin for power then 3 series = a no-no.

I dunno, what are you buying a bimmer for? I should probably read through this thread huh?...lol
Old 09-28-2005, 03:44 PM

actually, the 318 Ti and the iS weight in around 2800 pounds and with the M44 engine introduced in 1996 had a HP rating of 140. In reality, they may be a LITTLE slower than the tib in stock form... but rear wheel drive and a host of aftermarket gear will quickly allow it to eclipse our cars
Old 09-28-2005, 05:11 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Whatever you do mate, don't get a BMW "Compact"... They are the epitomy of gayness!! wink1.gif
Old 09-28-2005, 05:19 PM

Believe it or not... it is the Compact or the Ti that I like the most out of the E36s. It has all the good looks of the E36, a large usable trunk space, and it is the lightest out of all of them.

what more could you ask for?