Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

B18 In A Civic Hatch..

Old 06-25-2005, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two very close friend of mine have 93 Civic hatches with Vtec engines (JDM version, you don't get that in the US for that year model) both 1600cc and rated power of 160HP, weight std. is a tad less than 1100Kg.
In fact that model year is lighter thatn the next, 96-00 hatches weighted about 1180~1200Kg. The cars from my friends only have exhaust (not headers) and CAI, and I drove them a few times now, they don't feel any sluggish at low end as some are saying --of course they are no V8 feel at all, but neither are out Tibs-- and they are pretty much like any other so called "sport" 4 banger.
The truth is I felt those little bastards the same as my Tib (before the maintec header and AirRam) on low end, we have more torque, but they are lighter. Also, it was my impression they have much shorter gear ratios, that's why you don't feel any considerable lag on low end, and of course because they can revv to 8000rpm they can have shorter gear ratios even for the fifth speed.

There are a bunch of A$$ho..s here with Hondas, mostly 96-00 models, but my friends are really nice in no way like "my H car is better than your H car" in fact they a like my car a lot, the styling and the uniqueness, and also they respect that there is to some point ways to make a Tib faster.

Well the whole idea for posting this was: those Hondas are not bad cars at all (93 hatches) and to accept that is in no way in detriment to our cars or our feeling towards them.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (SpeedRacer @ Jun 25 2005, 11:06 AM)
Honda isn't magically ADDING hp at the top end, they're taking it away from the bottom end. Hence Hondas' horribly low torque figures.

actually, no.

their torque figures are almost similiar to ours(lower only due to the smaller engine size). at higher rpms, a different lobe is activated with oil pressure, which allows the engine to breath easier, while letting it idel smoothly at low end.

some of the vtec systems are designed with emmisions in mind, some are definately performance oriented though. the b18 is a good example.

as for the h22 prelude motor, i would never put that thing in a crx. that b**** is big, and HEAVY. you will have a front heavy fast straight line car, but would get owned around turns.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:35 PM

QUOTE (tibby01 @ Jun 25 2005, 04:54 PM)
actually, no.

their torque figures are almost similiar to ours(lower only due to the smaller engine size). at higher rpms, a different lobe is activated with oil pressure, which allows the engine to breath easier, while letting it idel smoothly at low end.

some of the vtec systems are designed with emmisions in mind, some are definately performance oriented though. the b18 is a good example.

as for the h22 prelude motor, i would never put that thing in a crx. that b**** is big, and HEAVY. you will have a front heavy fast straight line car, but would get owned around turns.

Actually, the H22A isn't that much heavier than the B18C. Only 80 lbs and that can be fixed with some suspension mods and relocation of a few things.

I know someone who might start a project with a Del Slo. He's going to swap in the RWD S2000 motor into it. That shit's going to fly.