Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

98 Caravan, Weird No Starting Issue

Old 06-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, heres the thing, i got a 98 caravan now as my daily driver, and everything has worked PERFECT up until today.

heres my issue:

i went outside to start the car, and everything started fine, then it just died.

started again, died a second later.

started again, this time the tach. needle didnt even get a chance to go to the rpm, died.

then it wouldn't start at all after that.

lights work fine, even when i hold down brakes, or put on brights, nothing dims.

when i go to crank over, i get no starter click, no dimming lights, nothing; like im not even turning the key. its like its not even trying in ANY way to turn over.

i thought it might be a fuel problem or something, but it seems like it would try to start at least and then just die out cuz it wouldn't have fuel, but its not even TRYING to turn over.

i thought maybe some spark issue, but the same thing, not even trying to turn over.

though it may be electrical, but why are the lights and radio perfect, and don't even DIM..
Old 06-01-2007, 11:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0t

Check for corroded/loose cable to starter. Could be a bad selenoid on the starter aswell. The Vans are bad for starters, sell em all the time.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Banned

i was hoping it was a starter issue, but i don't know how it could be a starter issue if the van started up a few times and then died..
Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 PM

thats actually common. they will work sometimes, and others they will not.

or they wont work, then you hit it with something heavy, and it magically starts. ive been in that situation alot.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Banned

started fine today, no issues at all.. WTF?!?!?! lol

taking it to my cousins shop to take a quick look at it.. lol