Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

80% Sure I'm Buying It.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've decided that I wanted to fix cars; but more in-depth. I only know how to do simple repairs and maintenance, and the Tiburon is in too good of shape for trusting myself in doing any advanced repairs if it needed one.

I found a 1994 VW Jettta GL for $500. It needs a new exhaust, 250,000 miles on the engine, and needs TLC. So yeah, I want to sharpen my skills. I'm thinking about learning how to put a new engine and transmission in, or actually rebuilding the actual engine. I don't know yet. It belongs to a 26 year old female who bought it when she was 16. She did minimal maintenance to it. It's rear to find a car here that's $500 here(except if you want an 80's American car).

Edit: yes I will still keep my Tiburon.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:13 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Have you looked into how easy it would be to get a new engine/tranny for it? Or how much they would be? How about this... would you have anyone knowledgable about the specifics of that car to help you if needed even if it is someone online on another forum?

BTW, are you sure it needs a whole new exhaust or is it just a portion of it needing to be replaced?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

if you want to LEARN more about engines and everything else it would be best if you rebuilt it and actually gt the experience first hand. but like tib moo said if you can find someone who has exp on this particular engine it would benefit you if they helped that way if you run into any probs they can assist you because when they started out they may have run into the same issues and gotten around em. in my honest opinion just replacing an insalling a new egine an trans only gives you experince in just that, not actually fixxing/ it.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:50 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

why not get an old beater hyundai kr? you have webtech to help you with everything engine-rebuild related, hyundaiperformance still has many topics on fixing up the old excels, and they are supposedly easy to work on. im betting you could find one for 500 bucks no probelm.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I agree. Buy a cheap, used, old Hyundai such as an Excel. You already know where to access information on the engines and cars, and there are people on the forums who can assist you.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:25 AM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i am so glad we have censorship here.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:36 AM

i agree with majik. i wouldn't start a project unless i knew that if i got stuck on something i could talk to some one to figure it out.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

guy it, volkswagens r easy and parts are accessible. You could even try doing a 1.8T swap laugh.gif
Old 07-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

There are tons of online resources for VWs. The vortex forums are helpful I'm sure, and I have a friend who's involved in a few communities for his VW.

If you really wanted to get away from Hyundai, VW would be a great place to start.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

My first intention was to find a cheap Hyundai Scoupe, Elantra or Sonata; that's impossible. Hyundai came to my region in 1999 so Hyundai's are still an ew company around here. I tried searching for them for a couple months, but no cigar. I don't want anything Japanese or American, so I thought about the most popular car in my choices, a VW. I'm not a VW fan at all, but I think it would be cool to fix up and learn how to fix cars. If I find a $500 Excel or Scoupe, I would take it in a heartbeat.