Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

2016 Ford Focus RS

Old 02-03-2015, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default 2016 Ford Focus RS

http://jalopnik.com/2016-ford-focus-...-ha-1683323602

2016 Ford Focus RS: This Is Your 320-HP, AWD Monster Hatch From Ford

Ford may be an American-based car company, but for too long they've kept one of their hottest offerings out of the hands of Americans. No more. Meet the 2016 Ford Focus RS, the 320 horsepower all-wheel drive monster hatch we've been waiting for.

The "normal" Focus ST is one of the best hot hatches around, coming to the table with a 2.0-liter turbo four with 252 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque. The Focus RS ups the ante with a 2.3-liter turbo four, sourced from the Mustang EcoBoost, with 'at least' 320 horsepower and 'at least' 320 pound-feet of torque. Yeah, that'll do.

What'll do even more is that the power is linked to a six speed MANUAL gearbox. A gearbox where you can select your own gear. This is wonderful, grand, delightful, excellent news.

Yes, the bestial, machine gun-like five-cylinder engine is good. It will be missed. But the 2.3-liter four is the future of small-displacement EcoBoost power, and it should be great.

Ford also announced the new RS has the one performance feature that hoons have been begging for the most: all-wheel drive. The last RS was front-wheel drive but largely free of crippling torque steer thanks to its RevoKnuckle suspension, but the new one will go full rally-grade with proper four-wheel power. And that's really where it should be these days.

And it's not your regular dumb all-wheel drive. The Focus RS has torque vectoring all-wheel drive and can send up to 100 percent of available power to one wheel. It monitors conditions between the front and rear continuously in order to establish where all that power goes. As expected, that AWD system (which was not totally expected), is paired with a revised and upgraded suspension with stiffer springs, sway bars, and adjustable dampers. It has electric power steering, but Ford promises "excellent feet."

In Europe, the RS will be able to have an option of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, which is about as sticky as you'd want a road tire to be. We better get that here too, for I need to hit the track and immediately ruin as many sets as possible.

Inside, it has some fantastic looking Recaro seats, but I have to say I'm not that impressed by the rest. Especially the steering wheel. It looks like it'd be more at home in a junkyard Festiva than a rally Ford. We'll have to see if it's terrible when we drive it (hint).

Outside, it gets more aggressive than the ST with a big wing, unique wheels, and unique front fascia that kind of looks like a mask. But apparently a lot more of the money was spent making the RS drive fantastically, which is just fine here.

We can't wait to see more as it makes its Geneva Auto Show debut in March and then makes its way to America, as Ford CEO Mark Fields has promised.

Good stuff from Ford these days, huh?
Old 02-03-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

BUY ME BONESTORM OR GO TO HELL!

Damnit... but it's a Ford... But I want it... but it's a Ford.

I guess i'll have to test drive it.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Mine.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I imagine with a bunch of bolt ons and a proper tune, that thing could see 400 HP easily.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Just injectors and a tune for E85... over 400.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I was really impressed with the ST, and I spent a lot of time driving and riding in the ST. This should be even better. I'm sure it will weigh as much as a body on frame SUV from the 90's, but it'll still go like hell.

The ST broke A LOT with track use. I hope that's sorted out. Was out of commission for half a YEAR waiting on a replacement transmission. The brake pads overheated so bad that they boiled out the back with the factory pads. It went like hell though and was all around pleasant to drive.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:58 PM

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/new...e-r-2015-02-03
Old 02-05-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I feel like some of you here should have grown out of these little boy racers. That's what the car looks like to me. It's a suped-up Focus. Just as the Evo is a faster Lancer, STi a modified Impreza. Not anything to be impressed with anymore. What turns me off the most is the cheap as sh*t interior and econobox styling outside. For the price of these cars, you could buy a used NSX, Viper, Vette, Camaro, RX8, 370Z..........a real sportscar that these cars are trying to mimic, but poorly.

If it were this, or the aforementioned sportscars, I'd take a 2008-10 Vette in the same price range.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:56 PM

Silence you!

It's a "family" car.

At least that's how I'm justifying it.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Go find a used M edition, or Aston Martin, and call it the "family car". Not this tinker toy.