Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

2002 Sunfire Question

Old 08-04-2005, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my mom has a pontiac sunfire and we went out to lunch today and went to kfc's drive through and when she rolled down the window to pay and tried to roll it back up, it wouldn't move. i pushed the passenger side button and it went. then in a few mins she tried again, and went a little bit up and then stopped. then in another min she tried again and it went all the way up. is the power window motor going bad? if this is the problem, is this something that we can do or is it hard to fix?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:57 PM

This is a common problems on J-body cars, it can be a simple as the ground on the motor and track assembly a bad window motor or even the switch, i would start by looking at the connector on the switch for green rot (thats the easiest to get at) then check the motor connector the terminals will expand and loosen up and have poor contact. .
There doesn't seem to be any pattern failures with the pw system in cavs/sunfires just the whole system sucks.
hope this helps
Old 08-04-2005, 01:59 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

maybe wiring problem, or problem in switch?

Also, car is 2002, so there could be some electronics. I heard that some power windows should be reset (for example some of those that stop and roll down if something is in the window while rolling window up).

thinking.gif
Old 08-04-2005, 09:11 PM

I was thinking it might be the switch, it's about 3 years old now so it may need to be replaced.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:16 PM

if it is anything like a friend's old Grand Am.. GM has issues with their power windows in those cars. His car needed a new motor on the driver's side and a complete new system on the passenger.. the track itself had broken there.

He drove for three years without working windows until finally trading the car in. Your Mom's car being a 2002... does it still have a warrenty?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:44 AM

i think that it may still be under warranty...i'm not sure though. if it's not, i wanted to help her out instead of having her pay the dealer to fix it if it was something that i could fix.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:14 PM

Check out J-body.org and search for the prob, most likely someone else on there has had the same problem or a similar one with their sunfire or cavalier (because basically they're the same thing just with different body styling) Good luck
Old 08-12-2005, 08:38 AM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

I think its the actuator or the regulator...