Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

XG350 brake upgrade issues

Old 08-05-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent
Default XG350 brake upgrade issues

As the topic states, I ran into some issues when attempting to swap at my old warped rotors and calipers for my shiny new XG350 replacements. I ordered the 02 - 05 XG dual piston calipers and Kia Spectra 5 rotors and all the fun stuff. The general issue I was having, after I mounted the rotor and brackets, was that the pad was hanging a good .5" off of the rotor. When this happened, I ran to the auto store thinking I might of had a wrong rotor and compared it to another Kia rotor and they were identical in size. So, I did a lil bit of research on here and found out that apparently there were two different model XG350 dual piston calipers with different numbers, one supporting an 11" rotor and one for a 12". My question is now, I wonder if it's possible to use the newer caliper, (I think I have), on the older dual piston caliper bracket? I did a bunch of picture comparisons to JonGTR's setup compared to mine and the calipers look the same, minus a 2 digit part number difference and obviously different brackets. Enough with this, I will post up pics I have found on the forum as well as my own for easier comparison. Oh and btw, disregard my feet in the picture. I felt the need to work barefooted that day

My setup:

*Fellow member's setup:*

A quick note on this matter, the number on my calipers is "BC140063" and the fellow member's caliper number is "BC140044". Let me know if you think I can get away with just a bracket swap so I can save what parts I have and what not.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

yes, you need the early model year caliper bracket.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

So if it were me and I read this post correctly then the caliper assembly you got is meant for the 12 inch rotors. I would get the 12 inch rotors cause better then 11. Is your rim gunna fit over the caliper, also dont forget to see if the spare still fits.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:02 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

99% sure a donut spare doesnt fit over it, although its safer to have the spare on the rear wheels anyways

12" rotors would require some thought on finding a proper rotor with the right hub and in our bolt pattern plus it would require at LEAST a 16" wheel
Old 08-06-2012, 02:06 PM

Re drill to current bolt pattern and use a hub centric ring to center the rotor on the hub. I don't know the specs off hand but I have some rings in development to fit a re drilled rear RD2 rotor to rear Accent hub and a ring for the 04 Sonata rotor to fit the front Accent hub. Once they have passed there test my guy will be able to make them for any size you need. This is in conjunction with the new rear caliper mount brake swap bracket in development. More to come when I get my hands on the prototypes.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:08 PM

The 07 Accent 15" spare barely fits over my rear disc swap, wont even come close to fitting the front but better then no spare at all.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 PM

the 11" clears stock 15" tib wheels, if you get a flat in the front, jack up the rear, install donut on the rear, take good wheel and tire and move it to the front

profit

and why would he go through all that effort to get 5 lug rotors altered to fit a 4 lug setup when he can just buy a bracket

he already owns the 11" rotors so no need to buy another set of rotors
Old 08-06-2012, 02:32 PM

oops re drill is for Accent. The 12" rotor is 5 lug? I wouldn't re drill that. Thats why I used the 04 Sonata rotor with the GK Tib Calipers cuz Tib rotor was 5 lug and didn't have proper space left to re drill a 4 lug pattern without one lug hole overlapping another.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

I didn't really plan on re-drilling the rotors anyway as I don't want to risk them since they weren't exactly cheap. On that note, I think I have sourced a pair of 02-03 caliper brackets that I may be going after. Hopefully this will solve my woes so I can use my big boy brakes. Thanks for all of the input, figured I had the wrong brackets but just wanted some other opinions.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:37 PM

this is how mine looks all installed

sorta a bad angle but you get the point

had to go with OEM rotors cuz aftermarket wasnt out yet

while the GK swap is nice expecially if you can find the aluminum calipers, id rather have a 2 piston setup