DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Power door locks the complete how to guide.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power door locks the complete how to guide.

Let first start out by saying there are severl types of door lock actuators. there are some 2 wire setups and some 5 wire setups. But don't freak out. It's very easy to do. This install was also done on a 1991 Chevy truck, so if it can be done blind on it, a tiburon is cake.

Time Req. 1-5hrs depending on installer

Difficulty level 6 on a scale of 1-10

Tools Req.

12ga wire
T taps
wire stripers/crimpers
drill
1/2" drill bit
1/2" rubber/plastic gromet
shit load of wire ties/zip ties.
wire loom if you want

INSTALL TIME

This pic shows the T Tap that will be required for power. I taped off of the hot ignition wire. The wire you choose should always be HOT. You can run one off of the battery but there is no need. So now that you have your power wire your doing good. don't forget to add a fuse some where in this.

Now break out the drill and drill a 1/2" hole in the door Jam.

This is where the rubber/plastic gromets come in handy. You need these so the wire dosen't chaff on the hole. This could be real bad.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:37 PM

if you don't already have you door pannel off now is the time!

now run your wires through the holes you drilled out to the door.

This is the Hardest part of the install. You have to have the actuator parellel with the push pull rod that operates the lock. If you don't do this you will cause the actuator to fail prematurely. Look at the directions that come with the actuator for the acceptable angles of the actuator rod. Install rod per MFG instructions.

Then connect up the wire. This style of lock system has a repeater feature. you unlock one door the other follows. you can install a switch but it's not required. If you tie it into your alarm system then you reall don't need it. It is real easy to hook up. If you don't have the setup i have it more difficult. If you have questions on the alarm hook up just ask me. No just match up the colors.

now that you have everything hooked up check to make sure it works before you put the door pannel back on. Also before you put the door pannel back on you need to make sure that you secure the wires. You don't wnat them just floping arround. If you install it on a car like the one pictured, you need to do it because they will get caught in the window crank.

No put your door pannel back on. Your good to go. Just make sure to use lots of zip ties to keep the wires together. And so it won't look like this:

it's easier to keep them neat after every job instead of trying to do it 5 projects later.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:02 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

WOW, thanks solo!
After what you described will this happen:
When you unlock driver side door from inside car (by flipping the switch up) will the passenger door unlock as well?
Old 02-25-2005, 02:21 PM

yes it will. you have to install the actuators on both doors. I don't know if you have one on your passanger door or not. But if you get with me i can show you which kit to get that is exactly like this one! And you can actuate the either lock from either side. meaning you can unlock the door for your g/f and she will no longer have to lean over to unlock your door because it's a repeator type lock system. So no matter if you lock or unlock from the inside of the car the other will follow. Same goes for outside.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:24 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (solo-baric)</div><div class='quotemain'>meaning you can unlock the door for your g/f and she will no longer have to lean over to unlock your door</div>

lmao.gif That's EXACTLY what I was thinking! Yeah pm me about the kit (comes with remote?) or e-mail pganpath @ gmail.com if you prefer.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:35 PM

a suggestion. When you drill that hole in your door jamb... take your touchup paint and paint the bare metal edges. This will keep the hold from rusting around the nylon gromet
Old 02-25-2005, 04:09 PM

Nice writeup. I always like it when the pics do most of the talking.

No need to drill for the Tiburon. Use the grommet behind (and beside) the fuse box down by the driver's footrest. It comes out a few inches behind the existing cable grommet that goes to the door. It has room for lots of wires, and you could always buy a hollow rubber grommet of the same inside diameter as whatever loom you are using, instead of squeezing them through the stock grommet as I did.

Then you insert your wire(s) into the stock rubber loom and feed them into the door. There's room for half a dozen 18ga wires to get through.

It's a good idea to cover the length of wire(s) in a small-sized section of loom.

If you have stock power locks, and are just adding an actuator for an alarm or keyless entry, you only need one actuator on the driver's door, in the two-wire variety. I brought in a fused wire from the battery, and use that to power several relays, including the actuator's relay, instead of tapping into power wires under the dash.

Edit: just thought I'd mention that with one actuator, I still can't have both doors open if I unlock from the passenger side door with a key. But that's not an issue since I no longer use my key anyways, as I have an alarm with keyless entry. But if you don't want an alarm or keyless entry, you would need two actuators to have that feature with no stock power locks, or just one on the passenger side with stock power locks.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

maybe one of you guys can help me. I had a keyless entry system professionally installed on my '01 tib quite awhile ago. well.... it dont work any more. When I hit the button, you can see the locks try to flip over, but it just doesnt go. It just moves a little and then stays locked. When using my key in the drivers door, it does still open the passanger side tho. Also, i noticed that the locks got a little harder to move by (by hand from the inside). any ideas on how to fix? Thanks guys.

PS. sorry for the thread hijack, i just figure you know what you're talkin bout haha
Old 02-27-2005, 08:10 PM

your not hijacking the thread. After you install a door lock actuator it will be harder to operate by hand. But here is the deal if you lock isn't moving when you push the botton you need to pull your door pannel off and maker sure that the actuator is parellel with the door lock. If not it will bind up and not move. The actuator could also be lose where it connects to the lock.

also if anyone has the diagram for the relay's for keyless entry for 2 wire locks please post them up. I no longer have them.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Im bringing this back to life... I had a look at my door a couple days ago and the actuator seems fine... It is hooked up to the lock push pull rod and parallel with it, but it still just will not flip the locks anymore. I even moved where it was connected (to the rod) and couldnt get it to work consistantly. Anyone have any ideas?