Vendor's Booth: General
Sponsor:   Hyundai Aftermarket
This forum is for general vendors to talk about items they sell, and for users to talk
about their experiences/problems with buying automotive parts.

The 25,000 mile oil? Have you tried it?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default The 25,000 mile oil? Have you tried it?

I got my Amsoil catalog today and they were advertising the 25,000 mile oil. Komptek, have you tried it? If so, did you do an oil analysis?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:00 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Tiburon

I personally dont think I would ever try it. I would rather just use good oil that I know is safe and not be lazy and just change my oil every 3months.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:09 PM

QUOTE(ElectricTuscani @ Nov 16 2008, 10:00 AM)
I personally dont think I would ever try it. I would rather just use good oil that I know is safe and not be lazy and just change my oil every 3months.

Amsoil is safe and it's an excellent oil... they invented the Automobile synthetic oil... just because I want extended intervals does not make me lazy. I'm just want other cost-saving methods. Do you change your oil every 3 months because some fool told you to? If you have oil analysis proof like me, you would know that the 3,000 miles/3 month rule is obsolete and phony.

Do you know or tried anything from Amsoil?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

I'm interested to see some results on it. As for me, i've had mine changed every 3,750 miles as per instruction of the manual. Let us know if you decide to give it a shot.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I refuse to join the Amsoil cult. Yes, it is a cult.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:20 PM

QUOTE(i8acobra @ Nov 16 2008, 06:36 PM)
I refuse to join the Amsoil cult. Yes, it is a cult.

well, if you use synthetic oil.. then you're part of the "cult". Amsoil invented the automobile synthetic oil...

You can trust an Air Force veteran who used synthetics in his Jet aircraft or you can trust big oil companies like Mobil who is sucking millions out of people with false advertisments.

QUOTE(bdiggy @ Nov 16 2008, 06:02 PM)
I'm interested to see some results on it. As for me, i've had mine changed every 3,750 miles as per instruction of the manual. Let us know if you decide to give it a shot.

You should do an oil analysis to see how your engine is doing and to see if there's life in the oil. Most of the time, oils that are tested at 3,000 miles usually have 5,000 miles of estimated life left. Long ago, I used cheap Walmart Oil (supertech) and tested at 4,000 miles. The analysis said that my oil had so much life left. I'm interested in extended oil because I hate seeing people waste oil by changing their oil sooner. When I'm done with my oils, I will do this Amsoil test on my Tiburon.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I use Royal Purple Synthetic (personal preference) and go 10,000 miles or 6 months on an oil change usually, but that's with a fair amount of racing time thrown in there too.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:06 PM

Vehicle: 89 Chevy Regular Cab Stepside

QUOTE(Korean_Redneck @ Nov 16 2008, 08:20 PM)
well, if you use synthetic oil.. then you're part of the "cult". Amsoil invented the automobile synthetic oil...

You can trust an Air Force veteran who used synthetics in his Jet aircraft or you can trust big oil companies like Mobil who is sucking millions out of people with false advertisments.
You should do an oil analysis to see how your engine is doing and to see if there's life in the oil. Most of the time, oils that are tested at 3,000 miles usually have 5,000 miles of estimated life left. Long ago, I used cheap Walmart Oil (supertech) and tested at 4,000 miles. The analysis said that my oil had so much life left. I'm interested in extended oil because I hate seeing people waste oil by changing their oil sooner. When I'm done with my oils, I will do this Amsoil test on my Tiburon.

There is alot more to oil and oil life than you may think. take filters as being one of them. You should also note that every engine is different and results will vary depending on climate as well as engine condition, and many other factors. There is alot more to oils than just reading an analysis to see what kind of oil life you have left....
Old 10-11-2009, 09:18 AM

Vehicle: 2002 hyundai accent

i use mobile1 15000 oil in my past 3 cars. never had a problem with any of them (not caused by oil any way). drove the camaro with synthetic from about 150,000 to 250,000 with synthetic (castrol i think), my toyota from 75,000 to 175,000 no problems with oil (castrol then mobile1). put synthetic in my lc at 10,000 and it still runs great at 135,000(mobile1).

-even if you use conventional oil technology has far passed the 3000 mile rule of thumb.
-the 2009 kia rio5 i just bought sais 5000 miles on oil changes (it has the 1.6 alpha motor)

-as far as jet engines the synthetic oil we use doesn't break down but it does get dirty and get contaminated so it still gets changed. but consider that a jet engine runs much hotter and much faster than a piston engine.

-also keep in mind that oils can be tweaked to fit a specific purpose. examples- could be designed to have long life, could be designed to give slightly better fuel economy but sacrice some oil life, could be designed for high performance apps, extreme weather. its all give and take with oil so whatever you buy change it when it is designed to be changed and change your filter.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Sonata LX

i've always just used regular Castrol GTX and a hyundai filter every 3K. the engine runs smooth as butter and has for the last 60K miles. i don't think it's a big deal to get under your car every couple months, since a lot of little leaks and things can be found by being under there anyway..