Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

RD1 F2 EVO Restoration Project

Old 08-03-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

sweet, we appreciate your effort...keep it up..
Old 12-12-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Coupe F2 Evo

been a while since my last update on this project, which has now taken a different path. I'll be turning it into a rally x car instead of going back on the road.

I've been busy stripping out the wiring loom as i need to make the car as light as possible, i will weigh it when done but so far i think i've stripped about 10kg of wiring out.

floom5.jpg

floom.jpg

Also stripped as much metal out of the doors as i can

9a.jpg

I was lucky enough to find a 20mm whiteline adjustable rear sway bar on ebay, £40 delivered, absolute bargain :biggrin:

rear_arb.jpg
Old 12-12-2014, 04:52 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Oh holy crap!

That certainly is an undertaking
Old 12-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Well...so much for that total restore!...I knew you'd give up lol!
Old 12-18-2014, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Regit
Well...so much for that total restore!...I knew you'd give up lol!

lol...not so much of a giving up, just a change of plans :biggrin:

besides, you know you wanna see it on track
Old 12-21-2014, 08:11 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

That restore would have taken hours and hours and lotsa cash to make origonal, I just was waiting..................................strip it & beat on it wins again lol.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:58 PM

spent yesterday morning doing a bit of fabricating, i didn't want to pay over £100 for a decent rear strut bar so decided to make my own. Total cost is about £20

It's simply a length of 1.5mm wall tubing cut to length, i then welded a nut in each end for the M12 rose joints to screw into. The side on the l/h turret is also a l/h thread and r/h for the other side so you simply turn the tube to adjust the length.

I've also made some 1mm plates for extra strength that will be welded onto the turrets before the brackets for the bar are finally welded into place.

Turret tops will also be getting seam welded for a bit of added strength.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

+ for putting opposite-threaded nuts for an adjustment without an adjuster! You might want to mark lines on the ends to see if/when/how much it's rotated.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:59 AM

well it's been an even longer while than last time and the blue one is on pause for now, mainly due to the amount and location of the rust. Both rear turrets are doing their best to be seperated from the main body.

Have been busy the last 5 months or so on a new project while i decide how best to proceed with the blue one, a silver evo that had failed it's mot came up for sale near to me and i decided it deserved saving (was heading for the scrapyard if he couldn't sell it).

first day back at base camp.

Nearside lower inner arch had rotted away as had the rear of the sill which is pretty much where they all go.

The sill was cut back to good metal as was the inner arch, new inner diaphragm sections were fabricated and then new outer patches welded on. Complete arch was cleaned back and then re-undersealed, i smothered inside the sill with waxoil before closing it all up.

The offside was even worse, i ended up cutting out an entire section of the sill lip as there was no good metal left.

New sill lip fabricated and it passed the jack test

While the welding work was going on i had been refurbing the rear suspension components with the aim that the rear end would look nearly new once finished.

Fitted new abs sensors, polybushes for all suspension arms, put together some rose joints for the droplinks and ended up making my own stainless bolts for the suspension components

I refurbed the front and rear brake calipers and went with the trajet calipers on the front as a little upgrade. Both front to rear main brake lines were replaced and fitted some Hel stainless/braided flexi's.

Happy to report that after some other slight fettling she passed the mot last saturday so she's road legal again. I've done quite a bit of tidying up in and around the engine bay. Here's how she looks now...

See i can finish what i start :biggrin:

well almost, gonna refurb the front suspension at some point plus anything else i can think of
Old 11-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Thread resurrection to announce a car resurrection. Good work