USA - Midwest/Central USA - Midwest members here.

Abq 2005 Fall Bbq *almost* Everyone Is Welcome!

Old 08-15-2005, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, to keep interest up I decided to post about this later this year. I think, with all the meets yearly now, I'm going to just have this once a year now, during the most unique gathering in the world, the Albuquerque International Ballon Fiesta.

http://www.aibf.org/

<u>DESCRIPTION</u>

If you haven't heard of the ABQ (Abbreviation for Albuquerque New Mexico) BBQ (Abbreviation for Bar B Que), it's a annual gathering here where we get as many folks from around the country to come as we can. Anyone from around the WORLD is welcome to come.

We hold it this time of the year to sorta celebrate the end of summer, and because the Ballon Fiesta is something you have to SEE to believe.

I'd HIGHLY suggest you take a look here...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v131/REDZMAN...ll%20ABQ%20BBQ/

For pics of last years Fall BBQ. We had an absolute blast.

Here are a few select pics from the weekend meet last year.

As you can see, it is a great time to be had by all. Over 700 Hot Air Balloons in the air all at once, and you can get lucky and ride one (I did last year), or pay for a trip up in one. You spend your time on the field around the balloons, not in bleachers and stuff.

<u>PLAN</u>

Right now I'm planning on having folks arrive on Friday (I've got Friday's off, so any time is good), and going out for a good New Mexican dinner that night, and to bed early.

Saturday we get up early and head to the Balloon Fiesta, EARLY, and help launch balloons (Breakfast burrito's and such on the field). Saturday, after the noon nap, we will meet up and have the BBQ, either at my place or Faithofadragon or ABQElantra's Crib. To be determined. After the BBQ another early night of sleep.

Sunday, get up early as hell again, head back down to the Fiesta. After the balloons are through, we will do our noon nap, then head up for our group drive up the Sandia Crest (About an hour from meeting up to the top, then chill for a bit, and back down), and I thought going out for Korean food would be a good idea. Everyone can relax for the evening, and head out on Monday.

Some more events can be added in. Maybe Saturday night we will go to the drag strip again.

<u>WHAT TO BRING</u>

It can get chilly in the mornings and evenings in October here, so make sure you bring a light and a medium jacket. Bring some shorts, and some warm pants. None of this will be expensive at all, last year we were able to get in the whole weekend for free. Most folks only paid for food and drinks.

Bring a GOOD CAMERA, the Ballon Fiesta is the most photographed event in the world, so have lots of film or available memory.

Bring some extra cash if you are wanting to GUARANTEE a ride on the balloons that weekend.

Feel free to stay for longer if you like.

<u>DATE OF MEET</u>

<span style="color:green"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Fri, 30 September thru Mon, 3 October</span></span>

<u>ATTENDEES</u>

Confirmed

REDZMAN
LIZGIGGLES
Dorkasaurus (My son)
Tibbytib
Cysc00
Faithofadragon
Faith
ABQElantra
ABQElantra Wife
Silvertibby04

Should Be Attending

Hideftv
Patreezy & Boyfriend wink1.gif
Draguntib
Tiburonmoo

I can personally put up about 4 folks total, maybe a few more, comfortably, in my Apartment. Other locals will post if they can board a few of you when they can.

New Mexico has speedlimits set at 75 MPH, so getting around is easy. ALL LIGHTING is legal here, so let's have fun with the ricers folks. Last year we had a member come all the way from Arkansas, so don't say it's too far. I'll also be glad to help ANYONE find a hotel room or a flight in for cheap.

Come on guys, the 2005 Spring BBQ was a friggin blast, let's make this one even BIGGER!
Old 08-15-2005, 11:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

A few extra pics...

Old 08-15-2005, 12:42 PM

I am Def going to try to make it this year! Money will be kinda tight since i will be leaving for orlando on the 18th of Oct so i cant be 100% sure right now but i will def try to make it.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:48 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Oooooooo A new "Fast Reply" button. Fancy.....

I personally will HAVE to be able to make this. No questions. I heard the rant and the rave ever since I joined here and now I am finally within one state border line of this event.

I might be bringing a college friend, I might not. Who knows. He may drive his own car (Eclipse), he might not...who knows. But i'll have it all figured out when the time gets closer.

Is it just me or does anyone else not see any dates for this event. Has the weekend been decided on? Someone please OWN me and quote where REDZ stated the dates please. LOL.

Couple Questions:
Where will we stay if the attandance is overwhelming for the locals housing? Are there hotels close to where you, faith, and ABQ live?

What exactlty is Korean Food?

I highly recommended we do the Drag Strip. I'll bring cash to pay for registration and entrance fees. I wanna see how my car stands up to ABQ's 5,000+ feet elevation. (or is it 6,000+?).

Other than that, the event schedule seems (to quote REDZMAN here...) Franstastic. Within a few weeks I will be confirming my attendance and you can move my screename up from the "Should Be" to the 'Your G'Damn right I'm Coming" List. smile.gif
Old 08-15-2005, 01:02 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

its 5800 feet at the track...

i gotta talk to the wife
Old 08-15-2005, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Well i don't remember which weekend of the fiesta it is supposed to be, but it goes from sep. 30- oct. 9. so either this shindig will be sep. 30 thru oct. 2 or it will be oct 7-9. My best guess will be the second weekend of the two, but look for more clarification from redz. if it is on the second weekend my attendance is unsure. do to there are things in vegas still needing to be taken care of...or the in laws are heading this way. but if it is on the first of the two i have two couches, lots of floor space, and two extra beds. i can't promise people can stay here gotta okay it with the wife first.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:49 PM

Its posted under the Title. Its the First weekend Sept 30 thru the 3 Oct.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

awsome thanks mang im a little slow this mourning.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:44 PM

Hey redz, could you add this to the Tibathon meet listing?

I'd like to build a list of other meets and shows that are happening everywhere (complete with little Google map and all).

http://www.tibathon.com/?q=node/36

Thanks man!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I drove all the way from KANSAS last yr. Hope to do it again this year. I've been just waiting for this thread so I can post that I'm gonna go! hahaha laugh.gif smile.gif
And, kinda needed a date to ask for a day off to drive my butt back home!