Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

What boost psi requires an intercooler

Old 04-10-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Elantra
Default What boost psi requires an intercooler

Read somewhere that said 8 psi and under wouldn't benefit much from an intercooler. Is this rule of thumb?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:46 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Someone feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, but you pretty much always want a n intercooler. It's less boost levels but intake temps that have more to do with the equation. Turbos get very hot so intake temps rise well above ambient temps that an NA car would experience, which hurts fuel atomization. This is why intercoolers exist. Obviously for more boost you want to respond with a larger and/or more efficient intercoolers, but running without pretty much means you're not seeing the full potential of the turbo system.

There are alternatives like meth injection, but they're a lot more expensive than a small intercooler like 8psi would command.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

If you're running real low boost levels (2-6 psi), then its fine to go without an IC. It's not recommended, but you can do it. However, why anyone would want to run really low levels of boost is beyond me, unless it's an S/C setup where the most you can get out of a smaller pulley is 2-8 psi anyway.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

just get an intercooler. they're cheap and effective