Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/turbo-supercharge-forced-induction-29/)
-   -   Super Charger!!! (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/turbo-supercharge-forced-induction-29/super-charger-3388/)

Decker 10-04-2001 02:43 AM

Super Charger!!!

I think that Alpine also makes a supercharger as well as a turbo charger.
I've read alot of comments on the turbo's and I know the make more power, but Is installing a supercharger easier? If I can get a supercharger for 1-2G and install it myself, mabye tune it or something at a shop. But without going through the hassles of a turbo(cause I don't want everything cramped).

Anyone have any suggestions, comments or opinions?

ta
-nico

Decker 10-04-2001 04:00 AM

I beleive the supercharger they use is eaton. Anyone use one of these before? Any experiences?

Visionz 10-04-2001 04:28 AM

I plan on purchasing the Alpine SC in teh spring, and having it chrome plated. I believe Yameneko is the only one with the Alpine SC at the current time. There's a couple of people fro FxTreme that have the Rimmer unit...but be warned..Rimmer is not the greatest in companies when getting a product made and shipped on time. As far as SC's made by companies like Eaton, and Paxton..they're more made for bigger engine cars like Mustangs and Camaro's. Whipple makes good SC's too..but they're mostly for trucks.

But as far as what you were saying about the SC install..yeah..it is pretty much all bolt in. Turbo's do generate more power because you change the boost pressure, but SC's are more reliable. You are able to change the boost pressure on an SC a little, just by switching pulley's.

For the price..you're best bet is to get the Alpine unit. Contact Yameneko (Brad) about it, and he'll probably be able to answer your questions better than I did. :D

Random 10-04-2001 05:11 AM

Biggest problem Yamaneko has had with the alpine supercharger has been fuel lines. They did such a horrible job installing them, that they kept leaking.

I've replaced all the fuel lines and it finally appears to be leak free.

On Alpines Dyno the Supercharger gained 45 HP vs 63 for the turbo in a horrible state of tune.

This saturday we will both be hitting the dyno again, and we will let you know how the numbers come out.

Decker 10-04-2001 09:17 AM

thankx guys, any clue what the price on it is?

Elantra151 10-04-2001 01:27 PM

hey i think i asked random this already
random said that i could use the cai with the supercharger but i just though of one thing
the supercharger has to be connected by a belt right. how do i use the cai if its on the right side and the pulley is on the left?

Iago 10-04-2001 01:31 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by Elantra151:
how do i use the cai if its on the right side and the pulley is on the left?</div>

I don't see how this would cause interference.

A textual description of what you would see, if you were looking into the engine bay from the front of the car:

... SC drive belt ... SuperCharger ... Throttle ... CAI ...

They're on opposite sides of the SC unit.

Decker 10-04-2001 02:19 PM

Anyone have any clue if a throttle boddy would help mutch? at all? I was looking at a onpol special or the barny TB. Any performance increase? or is it just a waste of money with a supercharger?

Also, I was looking at getting a hoodscoup to
cool down my engine and hopefully get some more juice out of a SC? Waste of money?
I know that motorsportwarehouse carries ones for the tibby, and they look straight evil wink.gif
check my sites for scoup pictures.

JAWS 021 10-04-2001 05:17 PM

i wonder how the scoop will look like on a 1st gen,....hmmm
ive been thinking about doing something to my hood,...
hey decker,... do you have a pic of the scoop on a first gen?

Random 10-04-2001 06:22 PM

2uniq from up north of the border put a WRX scoop on his first gen. Looks wicked.

I would not try to use the scoop to feed the supercharger, but using it run cold outside air over the exterior of the supercharger might help a little.

The Supercharger puts the TB in the same place as the normal IM, so you can use cruise control, and/or a bored TB. Yamaneko has a "barney" unit on his SC with the Random Special CAI. So the SC is compatable with both.

I have yet to yank the TB off the supercharger to find out how large the SC/TB opening is. So I cannot say if it would benefit from a larger TB, but my guess would be yes, it would.