Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Evo 8 Turbo

Old 10-29-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Currently I have mani/turbo/o2 and soon I'm going to get a downpipe. Once I get all these parts I was looking to install them right away. I don't have any other parts, but I figured I could just detach the WG rod and manually tie back the WG port to stay open. Would this cause any boost? I'd imagine at redline it might spool up somewhat. Would this cause any damage to the turbo? Also I'm looking at what tuning hardware I should use. I'm not too keen on getting the AEM FIC. I'm looking for either piggyback or standalone. Which would leave me to either the SMT-6 or the Megasquirt. I like the PnP side of the Megasquirt, but the it's twice the price of an SMT-6. Is the SMT-6 a little outdated? I'm also looking at the wireless Perfect Power SMT-8. Oh and Scoupe what downpipe did you get? Should it matter. I'm looking at grabbing a chinese knockoff from ebay. like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DOWNPIPE-MI...sQ5fAccessories
Old 10-29-2009, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

A) why would you put this on if you aren't going to use it? you're likely just gonna tear it up for no reason.

B) megasquirt only costs that much if you buy it from kfx, there are other options
Old 10-29-2009, 04:10 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

agreed with likeyoumeanit, there are many other options

https://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/shopping_cart.php

they are many other megasquirts out there...and cheaper than the ones from kfx
the member wolfinsheepsclothing is running a MS standalone and it works great.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

No, the KFX megasquirt is Plug and Play, that's why it costs that much. Someone has to sit there and solder and check every single wire, not to mention the sourcing of parts, and the actual megasquirt itself.

KFX also sells it in a kit you can put together yourself, for cheaper.

You have to determine what is worth it to you when it comes to a tuner. There ARE many options, and all will work in one form or another.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned

smt-6 is outdated.. can't control primary injectors without the turbo/black box. then you will need a second fuel rail secondary injectors and do extra wiring..

SMT-6/Emanage work GREAT with a secondary fuel rail, but can't adjust timing or primary injectors out of the box..

FIC can control primaries and so can the MS systems.,...

you wanna be a pioneer and try and figure out the perfect power smt-8, go ahead.. still probably can't control the primary injectors without the turbo/black box.

not to keen on a system that works great with turbo tibs? why?

your two best options, especially for a turbo tib are either the MS system (kfx PNP, kfx non-PNP) or an AEM FIC.

if i were to ever get a MS i WOULD pay the extra $$ to get it from kfx otherwise you have quite the headache with not only building the unit, but then wiring it in..
Old 10-29-2009, 04:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The FIC, after the last debate on it, looks like a pretty bad ass unit. I'm still reading about all of them.

The MS unit is CHEAP if you buy the parts, but it's the small things like...

Assembling the parts.

Getting them working together.

Initial tune.

Wiring into your harness.

All those make ANY system more expensive. I've been looking at PnP harness companies lately to see if they could source the same type of harness and do it up for the FIC. NOT CHEAP. These harnesses, just a simple 2 end harness, are around $200 or so.

A few other folks, such as Javageek and some other members, folks GOOD with soldering and electronics, have not been able to do the MS stuff either.

Hell, it's way beyond my means for sure.

If you have the abilities, build one yourself! All the info on how to do so is on this site.

Nate here has some very good points.

Check out the thread we had a month or so ago about all of the differences and such between the FIC and the MS. Lots of good stuff on both. Both have great benefits and downfalls. I personally would love to see a PnP FIC running piggyback, you'd get the best of both worlds I believe.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

yeah, i checked into getting professional harness's made, and unless i bought like 10 (would never sell that many) would be like 350$ a piece to be professionally made.

hell, even when i had my turbo tib, i paid someone 190$ to make me a PnP harness for my Emanage..

Dddude, radu, blueRD2 have all made PnP harness's for their FICs. D actually has a spare one that he fixed if i recall.

I just never could deal with the headache of that much wiring and testing.

the good thing about the MS and FIC... both control the timing and primaries.. the MS is PnP or includes a wiring diagram. there are wiring diagrams for the FIC also.. Both Units have available base maps to get you on the road and moving.

also, for those concerned about me promoting the FIC or my site, don't worry.. I WILL NOT sell the FIC as a seperate unit to ANYONE. But i will let you know where i buy them.. www.jegs.com.. I pay full price for them. So if i were to sell them, i would lose about 8$ in shipping. Jegs is NOT the cheapest source for an FIC, but has fast shipping and great to deal with.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:58 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

wow, that dp is cheap! and it looks exactly like mine. my dp worked great and if i where to compare it in quality, it looks WAY better built than the Tib ebay headers.

also, i still have the intercooler and some of the pipings. if you need them or want them let me know. i can sell the stuff to you.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:01 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I guess I am jumping the gun on installing them before I have all the parts, but piecing this turbo is taking so long. Installing it would make me feel like my money is actually some place, but I guess I just need to get over it. I really needed some sense knocked into me.

And I have looked at that FIC vs MS thread. I really don't have too many reasons why I don't like the FIC.
Mostly because I like to consolidate my electronics. Having an ECU and an FIC seems over-complicating the problem.
I have looked at the kits for the megasquirt and that's probably where I'm leaning towards. I am a Comp Sci major
and I know my way around circuits and electronic components....(I used to be the head electrician for a competition
robotics team).

I'm actually just looking to be boosting by christmas on low boost(3-5 psi) with no Fuel Management. I'm gonna try and make a build thread.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:12 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

the spring of the WG on the evo is 11psi. you can get a 7psi WG on ebay but i never bothered buying it.

and the fic is very easy to install. it sounds like a lot of work but it is not. if you know what you are doing it can take you 1hr at the most to wire it up.