Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Not Starting.. Grrrr.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, as some of you know, i haven't been driving the tib much lately because its in the middle of the body work, and i refuse to drive a multicolored tib with half done body work.

anyway, i have been trying to start it on a regular basis, and today it wasn't wanting to start for me. i tried a bunch of times, but still nothing..

heres all the readings i can get..

MAF is at like .12v
TPS is still set and works right
Fuel pressure is at the right pressure when pump is on. ~38psi.
battery voltage is at like 11.7v (i hooked it up to van to get volts up to like 13.5v and still wouldn't start)

The car is trying to start and starter turns it over, but it just will not fire up. i have tried different times throughout the day and i still get the same result.. last time i started it (about week and half ago) it just fired right up.

I can smell fuel out the exhaust obviously from trying to start it for so long.

I have also tried opening the TB a lil when i try to start it, but still same result..

I wouldn't know why I wouldn't be getting spark if that was the problem. (havent pulled my plugs yet to check)

and i was thinking maybe CPS but why would it just act up like this all of a sudden.

help please smile.gif
Old 07-24-2007, 09:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

my CPS acted up out of nowhere too. I started having problems starting one day without any symptoms before hand. same thing too... starter was working and the engine was cranking but no start.

I change the CPS and it fixed it.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

That's what mine was doing, it was my CKP, not the CPS though.

I don't see the Cam sensor going out easily, but the crank one, it seems to like to loosen up on its own.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:41 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok you guys are confusing me a lil bit because your not using your correct Abbreviations.

Camshaft Position Sensor = CMP

Crankshaft Position Sensor = CKP

CMP failure does not inhibit the car from starting, Selinas started just fine with ther CMP problem, just wouldnt accelerate right, it hesitated alot. It says somewhere on webtech that the CMP failure doesnt cause the car to not start.

heres what hma says for CKP failure

"If the tachometer reads 0 rpm when the engine is cranked, check for faulty crankshaft position sensor or ignition system problems.
If the tachometer reads 0 rpm when the engine is cranked and it does not start, ignition coil, power TR, or an ECM defect can be considered."

so see if the tach moves while cranking, if it does then then the CKP is fine, but regardless you should check the CKP, as its been known to be tempermental and can infrequently and suddenly stop working

------------------------------

still not starting? well back to basics

the 4 requirements for starting is fuel, air, compression, and spark.

FUEL, you say you smell fuel, so put that on the back burner but dont rule it out.

AIR, make sure the MAF is hooked up right although that rarely causes failure to start, check IAC.

COMPRESSION, thats an easy one if you have a compression tester, if not, back burner. Compression also includes the starting mechanism since that is the source of the compression, but the engine cranks so thats fine.

SPARK, you say you didnt check the spark plugs, but i would make this my first stop since ive seen my car not start out of the blue when i was in need of a change. i cranked and cranked and cranked and eventually i got lucky and it fired up, but it could have easily kept cranking, also its a cheap fix anyway and chances are your due. Also check wires.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

QUOTE (SOCKS @ Jul 24 2007, 09:53 PM)
well, as some of you know, i haven't been driving the tib much lately because its in the middle of the body work, and i refuse to drive a multicolored tib with half done body work.

ban2.gif getout.gif that's part of the body work process!! you must drivez in zee primAr!!

My crankshaft position sensor plug came off while driving... car shut down, refused to start... but I couldn't smell fuel and didn't seem to be flooding engine... not sure if it cuts off fuel pump without CKP?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

i meant CKP sorrry.... CRANK position sensor.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

didn't look at the plugs yet, but the rpms stay zero all through the cranking process and still will not start.. i had this problem a while ago, and it just eventually started up, and was fine for a while after. now it wont start at all.

ill check the plugs later today and take a look at em.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:53 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yah so id check the CKP to see if its loose or disconnected or visible signs of damage, if it looks fine check the plugs. if the plugs/wires are in good shape then id grab a new CKP and move on from there
Old 07-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Banned

could it possibly be the coil pack? i would think the coilpack would have shown signs of going bad though, and acted up for a longer period of time before crapping out.. im just going to swap out plugs and try it cuz the CKP is not loose or anything, but none of the local shops have 1-2 step colder plugs so ill have to order em.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Check the coil connector. They crack easily and come apart.

Do the basics like mentioned. Check for spark all the way to the plugs. Then check for fuel in all injectors.