Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Make Your Boosted Engines Bulletproof!

Old 02-15-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE (Blacktibs)
Just remember, nobody here will price you out on all this stuff. They just wont. But then if you were serious in the first place you wouldn't be asking questions here, you'd have your wallet open at a qualified machine shop.

Nicely stated. laugh.gif:

If you're one of those people who just buys turbo kits and upgrade your stages by whatever the company comes out with for the kit...then this is something probably not for you...especially if you didn't install the kit and stages yourself. This is more for the guy who wants to do more to his engine than what a silly kit can offer, and if you're a n00b to this, and you're interested, then you should research more.

And it's not like we're being asses by not telling you how much something is...well...maybe we are, but the point is, this is something that can't really be quoted. Prices may vary, along with quality (granted the machine shop knows what they're doing). But don't expect to pay a couple hundred and think your car is ready to take on V8s. If that were the case, then we'd see a lot more tuners than ricers on the streets. tongue.gif:
Old 02-15-2005, 03:45 PM

^^ I don't think your asses for not pricing, I was just curious.

And no, you don't have to be "in-love" with your Tib to do that. The fact is...the Beta has seen 1000HP. 'course, not very street driveable, or legal...but if you could get near 500+HP...and turn on/off your boost for daily driving...then it's not too feasible. But you'd be in a 500+HP FWD car...and well...chances are, you'll screw up and kill yourself...or your car.

I had intended on getting the extreme kit and eventually *hopefully* reach the 500hp mark..
Why do you say 'you'll screw up and kill yourself or your car?'
Just because it's fast?
Old 02-15-2005, 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

500HP and FWD don't mix... you'll crash for sure LOL. You don't know what 500HP feels like until you drive it. Even in the passenger seat you don't understand what it takes to drive that much power.

500HP on a Tib really isn't going to be daily driven either. The low compression needed to let a turbo run that is going to make it suck when your not under boost, and to make 500 you would need a fairly large turbo at that. When not under boost, you would be a slug and girls on tricycles would pedal faster than you could drive. I have enough problems in the GSX with AWD and only 350ish WHP daily driven @7.5:1 comp.
------
Old 02-15-2005, 05:41 PM

QUOTE (SlipStream)
where is there a stroker kit for our cars?

there used to be a company in Australia that had strokers for the BETA......I dont remember the name off the top of my head. I'll have to do some searching on that.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:38 PM

Vehicle: FX Coupe

QUOTE (tibwrcsbj)
there used to be a company in Australia that had strokers for the BETA......I dont remember the name off the top of my head. I'll have to do some searching on that.

RPW.com.au
Old 02-15-2005, 07:49 PM

Well what's the point of the extreme turbo kit then? It's good up to 400hp..
How high can you go then?
I mean what's the point of boosting if your never gonna go more than 250 HP and get your a$$ kicked at the track..
Old 02-15-2005, 08:07 PM

QUOTE (bluetibbay)
Well what's the point of the extreme turbo kit then? It's good up to 400hp..
How high can you go then?
I mean what's the point of boosting if your never gonna go more than 250 HP and get your a$$ kicked at the track..

Usually the max to go on a FWD is 300HP tops. So what now? What's the point? Well...if you had the money, you could get your engine bulletproofed for higher boost levels...and on top of that...you could get AWD to support your higher HP output. 'course, if you have money to go one way, you should have enough to go both ways by that point.

FWD + 300+HP = drag car (not daily driver)

So what? You want to make your car a daily driver? Then spend the big bucks for AWD. Sorry, but that's the only way you're going to prevent yourself from destroying your car. Going anymore than 300+HP on FWD is more dangerous than RWD (mostly because you'll probably take a turn, accidentally get into the boost, and find yourself between the telephone pole and the passenger door. 'course, you'd still have that problem with RWD, because of oversteer...unless the car was balanced enough, or you made it so it would induce understeer rather than oversteer.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:37 PM

there was an article last year where SCC took a 400hp Honda Civic out for a run.... from their descriptions, it was a mess.. when it wasn't spinning the wheels madly, they were shifting or sitting still... far too much work for the street. Personally, without an LSD 300hp on a street driven car is FAR too much. Top Gear tested an Alfa 147 with 250 BHP and the car was constantly trying to spin one wheel or another... and that was a factory hot rod, not something that somebody built out of a lower powered car.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:44 PM

Usually the max to go on a FWD is 300HP tops. So what now? What's the point? Well...if you had the money, you could get your engine bulletproofed for higher boost levels...and on top of that...you could get AWD to support your higher HP output. 'course, if you have money to go one way, you should have enough to go both ways by that point.

FWD + 300+HP = drag car (not daily driver)

So what? You want to make your car a daily driver? Then spend the big bucks for AWD. Sorry, but that's the only way you're going to prevent yourself from destroying your car. Going anymore than 300+HP on FWD is more dangerous than RWD (mostly because you'll probably take a turn, accidentally get into the boost, and find yourself between the telephone pole and the passenger door. 'course, you'd still have that problem with RWD, because of oversteer...unless the car was balanced enough, or you made it so it would induce understeer rather than oversteer.

Thanks for actually answering my question and not flaming me..
So basicly 300 is the max..
At 300 you could still drive alright couldnt you?
How do you figure how many hp = how many psi?

How do the SRT-4's and stuff drive around normal then? If these car's have so much HP I don't see them burning out and stuff..
Old 02-16-2005, 10:33 AM

QUOTE (bluetibbay)
Thanks for actually answering my question and not flaming me..
So basicly 300 is the max..
At 300 you could still drive alright couldnt you?
How do you figure how many hp = how many psi?

How do the SRT-4's and stuff drive around normal then? If these car's have so much HP I don't see them burning out and stuff..

Boost controllers. Most people are using EBCs...like Greddy, AEM, HKS...and there are an extremely small handful of people who are actually daily driving 450+HP SRT-4s. But daily driving to them is more like living at the track than commuting. And SRT-4s only drag...well...that's what they're good for, seeing how they're light, but their suspension is worse than a riced out Honda's.