Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Low Boost On Stock Compression

Old 01-23-2008, 07:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I'm still running 17psi on a stock motor. Probably over 10k miles that way, and more than that on 12-15psi.

The only problem I have is the stupid clutches.

I am fixing my fully built block, so it should get dropped in eventually. But I'm not really motivated b/c of the clutch thing.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Jesus,

I wasn't aware that our engines were that stout with 10:1 compression! This is exciting, just knowing that I have a spare short block (thanks to yamaha! fing02.gif ) will let me push it too. I think I will start out with my gate pressure, then slowly increase it to about 12-15. I might just have to put the rest of the components needed on credit hehe.

I need to get that thing torn apart and get the rods sent out for shot peening/cryo treating, then get it bored for the wiseco's and thrown back together with some arp rod bolts/head studs, then I should be good for around 20 psi and 350 or so whp, GOD I CAN'T WAIT!!!

I should purchase a quaife though (that's gonna hurt the wallet), as with that much power I won't be going anywhere until I get into 3rd or 4th, lol.

My haltech and harness should be on it's way back to me from enthalpy by friday, then I will get my injectors, new IAT, MAP, and Igniters installed with it and see how she runs.

I wonder how the engine will handle boost with 76000 miles? It only burns 1/4-1/2 quart every 3k miles and it is my weekend car so I am usually beating the crap out of it (my mpg went from 28 to 22 average, lol).

Thanks everyone for posting up all this good info, now I just need to complete my parts list and get it done!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

rob (2uniq) has a quafie in his car. he was pushing 19psi last time i saw his car. he still spun the tires like CRAZY thru 2nd gear. it was funny as hell when we were driving next to eachother at HS '06. we would both gun it (im on stock motor with 8psi) and he would just sit and spin for a gear or more and then after he got grip, i felt like i had a stock motor. lmao.gif
Old 01-23-2008, 04:40 PM

LOL.

He mentioned he has serious traction issues, was he spinning posi? Just want to confirm that the quaife works properly in our cars is all.

I would love to be able to mash it and leave two clouds of tire smoke trailing the car smile.gif .
Old 01-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Banned

yup, both of his front wheels were going about 60 and his car was going about 30 lmao.gif it is a cool sight to see. i had him pass me a couple time mashing 2nd gear. that was cool to see.

you should go up to canada and check his car out.. its really nice and hes one of the coolest guys i have met from the forums.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:00 PM

COOL.

I have seen some things he has done, I know he has the crazy expensive wilwood brakes all around, so I would assume he has just as much money everywhere else, especially if he has a quaife as well.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I also have had the quaife for a while and burn out through 2nd. Both tires. 225's.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 PM

Hep, got the Quaife as well and it runs fine with the car. It's espacialy fun in the snow, almost feels like a 4x4 lol... almost.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM

Looks like the quiafe works well on the straights, how does it do in the corners guys?

It IS an ATB, so it should bias the torque to the outside wheel, does it pull you through the corners better now? No more spinning the inside tire under WOT after the apex?

I figure you should know, pascoile, since you track the car.

Any input here is appreciated before I drop $1200, lol.

What do you guys think about my turbo selection? Any personal opinions on the BB instead of the journal bearing, do you guys think it is worth it?

And has anyone purchased from or heard good things about full-race? I just don't want to drop $1000 online at their store and get screwed.

Sorry if I am a little of topic,

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

it works, but like any high powered FWD car, you will kinda loose grip once the turbo is spooled up and pushing decently,tires aren't made out of crazy glue ya know wink1.gif
i'm sure Pascoile will shime in and tell you how exeactly it works on his car

boost wise,Pascoile is right i've seen a few 20 psi spikes (can't see more then that,my boost gauge stops at 20 lol)
most of the time i'm at about 14 psi before 5000rpm and about 17 psi at about 7200rpm,no problem so far and car is pulling great (maybee a bit too much for the stock mushy suspension bushings)

anyhow, i'd say that a properly t00ned set-up for a abused car should be good for for about 13-15 psi,.but then if you drive it to break it, then you'll break it for sure

Quick Reply: Low Boost On Stock Compression